Change "Delete" behaviour in regards to templates

Splutty

Suggestion

It's great that you can delete your templates! However, I've accidentilly deleted tons of them to the point I'm now pasting 4 or 5 of what I want to keep, just to make sure I have at least one copy..

How? Because when I have the window open with building blocks/weapons/templates, and I select something on my ship to delete, it will instead delete whatever template I have selected first and not delete the ship block I selected.

I've lost so many templates this way... So is there any way this can be changed?

4 answers to this suggestion

Because when I have the window open with building blocks/weapons/templates, and I select something on my ship to delete, it will instead delete whatever template I have selected first and not delete the ship block I selected.

Yes, there is a very simple way this can be changed.

{snark}Close the ruddy template window, then start deleting stuff.{/snark}

If the window ain't open, you can't affect stuff in it.

Now, I will agree that this is exactly the sort of interface bug that should have both been:

A: caught much sooner

B: killed a day or so after it was caught

C: Never existed in the first place, as "most" of the courses in programming include at least one on how to isolate input to a single window as part of their GUI section. (and, how to determine what window is actually active)

Because when I have the window open with building blocks/weapons/templates, and I select something on my ship to delete, it will instead delete whatever template I have selected first and not delete the ship block I selected.

Yes, there is a very simple way this can be changed.

{snark}Close the ruddy template window, then start deleting stuff.{/snark}

If the window ain't open, you can't affect stuff in it.

Yep :) I've now tried to make myself use the Inventory key instead of opening the actual window instead. This makes it so at least that window is only active when I'm selecting stuff from it or pasting stuff into it.

This has 'solved' my problem, but as you stated, it's not an actual solution to the problem, just a workaround.