server hostable on ARM mini pc?

CageHunter

Hi!

i plan to run a small server at home and was wondering if anyone has experience with setting one up with a mini pc like raspberry or - as i'm thinking about - a CuBox-i Pro 4x4 (https://www.solid-run.com/freescale-imx6-family/cubox-i/cubox-i-specifications/). The intention is to have a low power consuming 24/7 solution.

This mini pc has the following hardware on board :

- ARM Cortex A9 with 4 Cores @ 1 GHz

- 4 GB RAM

Would that be enough for say 5 players? Is ARM architecture supported? Can you give me some advice? Is there a better solution?

Thanks a lot!

An Avorion server uses pretty large amounts of disk space, so that's your main problem.

My current server which has me on it and a few friends is up to 5GB, which would still easilly fit on a USB stick :) But it can potentially grow much much larger if your players create a lot of sectors.

Furthermore, whether there's a release for ARM Linux would depend on whether there's a build for it. Pretty much only the dev can do that build.

Assuming they build the server with gcc, it's just a question of doing a cross compile for the ARM architecture, but I have no idea if they would do that to begin with.

Thank you for the answer! :)

Ok, i've already read there are Galaxies around with sizes of 15 GB and more, but this shouldn't be an issue with the eSata port.

What about 4 cores each 1 GHz and the 4 GB RAM? Is this enough even with more generated sectors? Anyone with experience in hosting on a mini pc?

Are devs in this forum so it is possible to ask for a build for ARM?

• Boxelware Team

I asked the dev if he plans on doing something like that and he said no.

For one the ARM itself would definitely struggle with the server load and the second reason, a more corporate one: If we ship something (like a build for ARM) we need to be able to certify the stability of it. Which would mean testing that requires hardware and time. And with the current status we won't able to do that.

I asked the dev if he plans on doing something like that and he said no.

For one the ARM itself would definitely struggle with the server load and the second reason, a more corporate one: If we ship something (like a build for ARM) we need to be able to certify the stability of it. Which would mean testing that requires hardware and time. And with the current status we won't able to do that.

It would be funny to see Avorion headless server on the Play Store or f-droid.  Phones are appearing with multicore processors and 4GB of ram already.