Why is materials/credits tab gone? (Beta 0.11 r7767)

AURAequine

So today I loaded up Avorion again, and there seems to be a weird change that I dislike..

Rather than my standard credits and materials list, there is just instead the sector number:

aQNZeWR.png

Yet when I open up any menu like player menu or ship menu, it DOES show..

styOICI.png

But the reason I believe this was actually intended rather than a bug is due to the fact there were no errors in my logs, and when mining an asteroid, rather than the number mined like before, it instead displays the amount I have, with the amount I gained in brackets..

0WCXOYu.png

I've searched and there's not way I can find to change it back to the way it was.. It was so convenient to have it constantly displayed, and now to check, I have to stop when I'm doing, go into another menu then I can find out..

So to leave it off in short:

0dneud4.jpg

So, I know that Koonschi hasn't posted the details here, although some notes are available on steam here: http://steamcommunity.com/games/445220/announcements/detail/240220455166387074

Not sure if we'll get more information than that, especially compared to beta branch builds, but I'm going to try to analyze it.

In that link I posted, you'll have the info.

I personally like the change. Frees up the screen and basically any open menu will have it show up if you wanna see it. I'll agree that perhaps a settings menu checkbox might be nice, but meh, this is alpha.

I personally do not like the change and would like a little more modular UI.

I really like the way I can look at my resources in the upper left and see my progress of accumulation. 

I also do not like the INCREDIBLY SPAMMY lower right hand side of the UI

It is distracting and imho not necessary. I would much rather prefer the old style.

What I would be REALLY happy about is if when I am collecting Items (be it loot or materials) that when I open any other menu, the indication of that loot or material that I am acquiring GOES AWAY IMMEDIATELY. 

As it is right now I cannot read the stats of the ship I am in and have to WAIT for the timer to expire on the loot etc...

As the indication that i am looting something is virtually irrelevant I would greatly prefer to be able to disable it.

It would be a much better system imho to have a marker in your player inventory that indicated that "this item" is new, until you hovered it. 

Also It would make WAY more sense to have the loot show ONE time for about 1/2 a sec in the upper right, between the "player buttons" and the the space where your ship stats are indicated if they are open, then in the lower left.

In the new beta version, the window with ressources and money ist not shown anymore in normal flight mode, I feel like that is a bad change, I like to see what I'm currently sitting at.

Also I'd love if the window with informations that I get when i select myself, would always be there or if as an alternative I could get numbers for shield/speed etc insteal of just the bar.

Where are these mythical patch logs? I see nothing new on the steam news, nothing new on the beta branch patch forums, where, pray tell, should I be looking?

Also, I'm about to pull my hair out looking for my credits/resources, make it optional.

yes please make it an option to bring back the old hud

without having those readouts in my face i have no idea when its time to actually try make money to pay my crew. i'll explore until they start leaving.

out of sight out of mind.

which is hilarious the entire game depends on you managing your economics to get anything done. credits and ore counts are of prime importance and should be on screen.

over the years of devving myself ive noticed that, if i want to change something, i'm probably wrong and should make it a new setting instead. unless it needs a complete overhaul.

this is not world of warcraft where i have to click on party frames to do healing as fast as i can, the player party is literally the least important thing this game could ever have to tell us. the party frames are the ones that should vanish. i'm not just going to forget im playing with my friends. but i AM going to be surprised when i accidentally run out of credits.

i know the game is still young, but i have been really surprised by the number of people on discord who say they only play in single player, and will never even see this mythical group ui. on the flip side i only play multiplayer but will almost never group up because i'm a rooooooooooooooogue.

and think about the people actually playing as miners, or with dedicated mining ships :o

What special use do groups have (especially in singleplayer) that it would need to go instead of the resources tab?

Perhaps a better place for it would be the bottom right of the screen, when you are not in a group it doesn't show anything and when you are it doesn't get in the way of the resources tab.

Or the other way around but then you'd have your resources all day long in the bottom right, where it seems more out of place to me.

Because the unused lower left corner isn't unused, it's for the chat window. And there really is no reason to show your resources all the time, you don't have to constantly check them.

Excuse me, some of us may be consuming things that adversely affect the memory while chilling out to this game and would prefer to know what's up constantly ;)

like mentioned in Steam Forums i tend to agree with the disagreeing side here, no need to have it on screen all the time... fully enought to have it when you need it...

you also still see how much you total of a given ressource is (e.g. while mining), its just on a another place:

the display where you get shown how much ressources you picked up got changed from something like "+115" to "1.819.714 (+115)", so it IS still there, just on a new place where it doesnt interfere with the new group UI, which i guess will get alot more important if the Alliance Update comes...

And for the suggestion to make it a checkbox-option to toggle for everyone, i say clearly "no"! With so much changes along the horizon i cant understand how anyone could see a benefit here by coding the HUD twice to make both versions (which will differ more and more the more options get added) work, thats just wasted effort, isnt it?

Nah, make one, make it pretty and work nicely, i totally see these changes as a good step towards the right way...

I too like the change, if I need to see the totals just need to hit P or I to bring up the player or ship menu and there they are.

The only thing I'd really want always displayed would be credits although again that's really only in the early game, once I've got 100k or so then gate fees and crew pay is less of a worry.

What I badly want is UI scaling, I'm on a 1680x1050 monitor and I find the UI at that res is too big, esp after seeing it at 2560×1440 that's  the size I want my UI

just to see what I mean

1680x1050 http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/82591828976644180/1D0B2AB6BBE24E2DD59E83275C2CAF166765FB1F/

2560x1440 http://i.imgur.com/nZRp6dP.jpg

The UI elements are the same size just on the higher res they take up far less space . . . ok I think this needs a new topic

the display where you get shown how much ressources you picked up got changed from something like "+115" to "1.819.714 (+115)", so it IS still there, just on a new place where it doesnt interfere with the new group UI, which i guess will get alot more important if the Alliance Update comes...

And that's one of the reasons why I want the old display back, so we can get rid of that. It's very distracting and when your miners are out on their own, it's just a total eyesore to see number constantly jumping around in the lower right corner.

If it would be decently formatted, with defined columns, instead of constantly jumping around, it might work, but as it is now, it's far too much information presented in a constantly changing format. Not a good thing for the human eyes and brain.

Preferably all this should be in a format that can be modded, though.

Preferably all this should be in a format that can be modded, though.

totally agreed here, let modders make fancy things for individual needs, as thats what they do best! So our vanilla HUD has more time to sort out all such small thingys like your mentioned problem with jumping numbers... one could argue Early Access and first iteration of a new feature... but we all know this, and pointing out the flaws of such changes is important, too, no?

I mean, same goes for any1's opinion regarding the changed Ressource UI, but there is pointing out at problems and early demanding for a reverting back before any real feedback could made real good changes happen... well, in my little world at least...  :P

Just going to leave this here :)

Considering the UI changes: I'd like to point out that I'd prefer not to revert the changes, but rather add options for customizing the UI.
Source

This will probably come with a patch where you can customize the entire UI. Ppl with 3 screens or 4k have been requesting this anyways.
Source

Because the unused lower left corner isn't unused, it's for the chat window. And there really is no reason to show your resources all the time, you don't have to constantly check them.

Excuse me, some of us may be consuming things that adversely affect the memory while chilling out to this game and would prefer to know what's up constantly ;)

avorion and chill

avorion and chill

Wasn't Avorion poisonous?  ??? :P

No reason except I like not having to press anything to see what kind of cash and resources I have at any given moment.

Comes in quite handy when you're planning things out in your head as you travel/mine/salvage etc.

Now I have to stop what I'm doing, click a button, figure what I want to do and then go back to whatever it was i was doing.

Not having that information on the screen for me is rather inconvenient.

If we could please have the option to keep it there instead of having the whole flow of game play come to a grinding halt every time I want to think about trading or building.

Pretty please..?

Cheers..!