Painting Pains

NITROtbomb

Hi Everyone, so I am trying to paint my ship...

which is to be honest really frustrating because I have to wait about 4 seconds for an individual block to be painted.....

keep in mind my current project has 20297 blocks at the moment...

Is there anyway to make painting such a huge ship easier?

I have put all the graphics settings on the lowest and it still doesn't work.

Regards,

Nitro

One thing I've found to help sometimes is to exit and re-enter build mode, this clears the undo cache.

Also try to minimise intersecting blocks.

When painting you can hold down the mouse button and drag it about you don't have to click on individual blocks.

However my biggest tip, is make a note of which colours you are using, as there's no way I've found of seeing which exact colour a block is painted, so if you paint something the wrong colour by mistake you might not remember what the correct colour was.

• 2 weeks later...

Select all > merge blocks

saves both ram, fps and your time.

I don't see how having to touch all my blocks to merge them would take less time than having to touch all my blocks to paint them.

And about this having more than one color thing... Not really a time saver if everything is one giant cargo container.

Even if you group like minded blocks together, you still have to touch and color every one, or build them the color as you go.

This may help FPS, but it does nothing to help the current coloring issues.

The only time savings options you currently have are build with the color selected or use the XML method.

Hopefully the new and improved build mode coming later will help this. Like adding a little user palate so I don't have to keep digging through all the colors I'll never use trying to remember the one or two I actually want to grace the hull of my beautiful, beautiful flying brick of explosive mayhem and wonderment...

Cheers..! 

Or you can use the selector tool, if there are parts of the ship you do not want merged, like a section of the ship that contains multiple thrusters of same sizes but different directions, they will all merge into one thruster of ONE direction.  So avoid those if you can, the click and drag selector tool will help you avoid selecting them while still allowing you to select multiple blocks elsewhere.

Also if you have nothing selected and click the merge button it'll behave as if you had everything selected.  And if they're different colors they won't merge so you can assign odd colors to stuff you don't want to merge.

• 1 year later...