Not sure if it's in the works....but

Dragon327

Suggestion

I would like to see

1  - be able to summon my ships from other sectors

2  - have the ship captains be able to choose mission when i dont give them orders...like salvage or mine or defend sector....

3  - and be able to get money and materials from my stations when i am out of sector...

4  - be able to put turrets and or mods into storage like a 'Favorites' cargo hold or something like that...even possibly rename them as well

thanks.

3 answers to this suggestion

1 - Rather than summon them (which is a different kind of change, requiring out-of-sector AI), it MIGHT be easier to be able to take control of any ship you have in any sector.  Move the player's perspective, not the ship.

2 - There are still bugs with the primary orders that are probably a higher priority, but yes... if a ship isn't told to stay put and it is loaded up with mining lasers in an asteroid field, it should go mining rather than sit idle.  If it is battle-capable and the player's assets are taking damage, it should assist (and after the battle, salvage).

3 - Keeping sectors operational is supposedly in the works  There is currently a mod that will sort of patch this by calculating what would have been done in a sector retroactively, as soon as a player re-enters.

4 - I don't see the point of renaming them, but a more flexible organization system might be nice.  I mean, I'd love a 3D interface where the x axis represents DPS, the y material, and the z the special attributes.  But perhaps a nice, robust 'sort and filter' interface would suffice.  I believe there is at least one mod that attempts to improve the player's ability to judge the worth of a turret.

mining and salvaging for AI ships is already implemented so... not sure if you are just not looking hard enough.

Mining and salvaging as sole orders has been implemented.  We're talking about ships defaulting to secondary activities when their primary orders don't apply.

What I've seen previously discussed (IIRC, I started the thread) was ships overriding their primary instructions when it made sense to do so - such as switching to combat mode (and possibly even jumping out of sector) if attacked while mining, salvaging, or idle.