Avorion Server Specs, for 4 People.

Recold

It depends on how many mods you would like to install and how often those 4 people will be playing.

When they are all online at the same time fighting and farming, you'll want at least one thread per player.

The server uses multi-threading, but still relies on good single-threaded performance.

I wouldn't go with a VPS for that reason but with just 4 players who aren't all online at the same time you should be fine. RAM usage with just 4 players won't be very high, I don't know an exact number but you should have enough with 8 GB for sure.

Can we get a more specific answer from someone on the dev team? I'm about to build another machine as my main gaming rig and want to know if my current machine (still pretty beefy) can handle a 4-player dedicated server where we're all playing at the same time (especially true when Alliances arrive).

I already have a quad core server for running dedicated game servers on the LAN, though it's a bit older (but 8GB RAM). I don't want to just list out the specs for either machine as I don't want someone to point to it and say "yeah, that's enough." I really would appreciate a good guideline from the folks making the game so I can decide/build around it for maximum effect.

Thanks!

(PS: no mods, just the base vanilla game, specs for 4 concurrent players, and if possible, specs up the line for up to 24 players just in case more than 4 of us in our Steam group decide to join up)

The dev team is not really concerned towards servers as he is very busy with the game itself.

Similar questions concerning servers have been asked since the release of the game, without much usable information.

What I have gathered over time from my own experience for optimum performance due to the poor optimisations of the game is that you'll want one dedicated CPU core/thread per sector/player loaded.

Also you'll want that core/thread to run above 2Ghz as the slowest/most intensive sector slows down the whole server (a faction battle with fighters will easily eat that thread). When aiming for memory usage, a safe bet would be to have 2-4GB for the game itself and 1GB for every active player. Also you'll want an SSD as the game has to read/write to HD very often but is not neccesary for a good playing experience.

This way you'll have more than enough as the game can handle up to 10 players pretty well.

I appreciate your reply, but here's my thoughts on this:

1. You had better hope you are incorrect about the dev team not being concerned about servers because if that is true, there's not a lot of life for this game beyond the core play-through in single player.

2. I don't believe you are correct, or else why the big announcements about Alliances, co-op, etc? That's contradictory, and makes no sense that the devs wouldn't care about mp or servers yet make big announcements about the features coming in mp.

3. If the devs are truly not concerned or don't care enough to answer such a question (a question they should have already answered in a FAQ or forum post since mp is baked into this game), then I guess I'm not concerned enough to do much more than play other games where the developers care enough to at least give the players some idea of what kind of server specs players should shoot for.

4. The dev already has my $18, so haha, shame on me for taking a chance to try an unknown game from an unknown developer, but that's okay because life is full of little lessons like "don't spend your money supporting someone who doesn't care about what you're purchasing from them."

Since I find it hard to believe the developer(s) of this game intended for it to be multiplayer to the point the dev(s) are working hard on an update called "Alliances" and have shown many screenshots about the advantages it will bring when playing multiplayer/coop, I can only assume you are incorrect and have posted baseless information for whatever reason you chose. Until I hear from a developer, either to inform me what specs are important for various server loads or to confirm what you have said, which is that the dev(s) do not care about multiplayer enough to give players such important information, I will wait (somewhat) patiently for an actual developer to answer my original question.

(ie: no offense, but your experiences are not nearly as important to me as word from the actual developer of the game who can shed some light on a very important bit of technical information)

I never said he doesn't care, there is hardly any concern for it because the game is still very early in development and most of us respect that. As Koonschi is just working on this on his own and it has been a while since there was content added, the big alliance update has a lot of priority at the moment.

Server performance is one of the points which are planned to be addressed in that patch so we'll just have to be patient until things further improve like already has been happening since the release.

I agree that more information can be useful as it's been pretty much guessing so far to what good server specs would be. We've been trying out different systems the last few months and came to the conclusion that it doesn't really matter what kind of system you have as long as you are not hitting the caps of the hardware itself. The game is just too poorly optimised at the moment to make full use of the hardware as the limitations/bottleneck seem to be in the game engine.

As an example, you'll be better off at the moment with high single-threaded performance over a CPU that has a lot of threads at lower frequencies since the slowest active sector slows down the whole server. Therefore you'd need a beastly system that uses high-performance multi-threaded CPUs to run the game at high numbers.  I don't expect this behaviour to stay the way it currently is and might also be a reason why there aren't any clear specifications known besides that you'll at least need a dual core CPU to run the server without problems for 1-2 players.

If you demand his answer you can better prepare yourself with patience, as it's just a single guy dev team doing all the work. He claims to read everything on the forums but from my experience not every question is directly answered so you might be better off with sending him an email.

• 2 months later...

I swe that game has huge potential in multiplayer. But if its eats server resource so easly then what server need for like 2000 gamers? :) i counted that that much needed minimum that galaxy was lively. O single player game will will become boring when u reach center and do missions. Multiplayer extend it for a very long time. And i know its expensive there should be an options for loging in with seperate username and pass. Then for support of big server can take monthly payment.

Still i waiting and hoping for mp for this game

@Devious

Could explain these two server settings? and what they do exactly?

workerThreads=1

generatorThreads=2

Worker threads is the number of threads the game uses for all frame calculations inside of a sector.

Generator Threads is the number of threads used to calculate generating new sectors (ie jumping to an undiscovered sector)

@Devious

Could explain these two server settings? and what they do exactly?

workerThreads=1

generatorThreads=2

Worker threads is the number of threads the game uses for all frame calculations inside of a sector.

Generator Threads is the number of threads used to calculate generating new sectors (ie jumping to an undiscovered sector)

SHould these variables be adjusted according the number of players you have active on your server to get optimal performance?

For info, I have a for-friends server (hosted at home on a PC litterally pulled out from a trash-container), Pentium D w/ 4GB DDR2, on an improvised SSD (IDE bridge to 2 CF cards ) a bit of stutter sometime one login-logout or sector traveling, but decently playable so far, with 2 to 6 people connected simultaneously, rebooted every 6 hours.

Side Note: The computer is running archlinux, installed nothing but what was need for steamCMD to work. Try to install something like a web-accessible UI or something, and you can say goodbye, it won't run smoothly.