Player Generated content

dyze

Suggestion

Looking on youtube and the forums, you can see that people build a lot of cool ships.

I think there is an opportunity here to 'freely' add some fun content to the game.

Lets say there was an 'Upload ships' button in the main menu of the game, where you could view, and upload ships (and stations) that you built.

These ships could then be used by you (devs) to create for example mini bosses ingame.

Not true bosses, but sort of like a rare boss in Diablo or Path of exile.

Simply take some cool ships, equip with some fun weapons, and have them generated into the game.

For example, a pirate ambush could now be made into a "defeat the x pirates boss" where you'd have to clear one or more sectors of pirates, once they felt threatened enough, the boss would appear.

The boss would have improved drop rates of rare loot, and upon defeating him, a message could be displayed along the lines of:

"You defeated the boss X. Ship created by player Y"

7 answers to this suggestion

Avorion has a 1000x1000 grid.  That's 1,000,000 sectors.  Give the average faction 10 sectors and you have 100,000 factions.

So why not have fan contests for designing faction ship styles?  Build a scout, a miner, a salvager, a cargo hauler, a cruiser, a frigate, and perhaps a large command vessel, submit the collection for voting.

There are opportunities for 100K distinct collections.

yeah that'd be cool too. i like the fact that they're randomly generated, but could definitely be supplemented by player built ships too.

would also help make the factions look more unique and varied. and perhaps decrease the rate of 'long stick' ships a bit  :D

Theres already a way to upload your ships. Just share their files on this forum

Why not just add the ability for NPC ships to use the template of a ship you downloaded/saved. That way you can do it choose your own ships. That's what starmade does

As for faction looks, that's already going to be a thing

Theres already a way to upload your ships. Just share their files on this forum

Why not just add the ability for NPC ships to use the template of a ship you downloaded/saved. That way you can do it choose your own ships. That's what starmade does

As for faction looks, that's already going to be a thing

then only those who are active on the forums would get the extra content?

and judging from the activity here, is not that many, compared to the total number of players.

having such a feature in game, would be an incentive for many to spend more time building their ship, and not only those who are active on forums. which is usually a quite small (but vocal) percentage.

yeah, only those who care for it will get it for now... nothing bad at that considering the EA status i think...

and yes, support for custom made content is alrdy in the works, lemme quote from the some older Update-News:

Alliances Update Features

• Alliances that will be formed by players
  • Co-op ship piloting
  • Sectors staying in memory while a player is online
  • Improved building mode for easier editing (scaling, moving, transforming) of whole ships
  • Player backups so your progress is not lost on server failure of any kind
  • Custom fighter plans and Steam workshop support for ship and station plans, and entire faction sets
  • Better inventory and map navigation

that sounds cool, but not really the same as my suggestion, which is to have randomly generated content made by players, waiting for you to be found.

when you add stuff from the workshop, you always know exactly what you get no?  :)

still, it's definitely a start, maybe can be expanded in later patches.

True dat, but this way you can more easily prevent... lets say, your galaxy invaded by a horde of gigantic di*** flying around anywhere, since you choosed the sets (or in your case, the bosses) you'd like to play with from the workshop yourself!

for the thing with the generated bosses i definetly like the idea in general, but thinking of it i would suggest not to pre-equip them, but to let the same RNGesus do it who equips the current npcs.

Just to ensure balance and prevent exploits, for example in the current game i would expect ALOT ones equipped with shield-penetrating railguns all over em, since they seem to be way to go for killing players (just can tell from what ive read here, only played Coop myself so far)...

One the other hand: Putting the tools into the player's hands to make interesting fights like the AI Boss, some scripting knowledge provided, could result in some very exciting encounters...  ::)