[WIP] Homeworld 2: Vagyr Fleet

Pirat

This is a big project, so I will start right off with You, maybe I'll need some help.

First thing first: I would love to make them as close to originals, so i downloaded 3d obj files, and converted them to 2d grids, this is what i got with corvett [missile one]

79bbe664b645dcace0eeff0afbf56873.png

511757e106ab689d4380667dbdef67a5.png

8c44b2fb826340aea036f51c9731f9b1.png

And i see no option to have optimal grid... Even with 0.01 it is hard...

How do you do this??

Two questions:

- What is length/width of this ship in meters?

- Are you trying to make the ship 1:1 scale, or can it be larger/smaller (like 10:1 or 1:2)?

If you are trying to model 1:1 scale ships in Avorion remember these things:

- 1 block unit in Avorion is 10m, so 20x10x5 is actually 200m x 100m x 50m (a 1x1x1 block = 1km^3; so 1=10m)

- any ship model smaller than 50m long is going to be very difficult to make

- any ship model smaller than 100m long is going to be useless in Avorion even in the outer sectors

I've made the Tie Fighter and X-Wing fighters (Star Wars) in Avorion but made them 10:1 scale and they are still too tiny to be useable past the Titanium sectors. X-Wing Fighter is originally 25m long = 2.5 Avorion blocks at 1:1 scale.

For reference, my main ship currently is a Romulan Warbird from Star Trek, and at ~1300m it is 130 Avorion blocks long.

Here are some ship ideas/lengths:

https://visual.ly/community/infographic/technology/all-sci-fi-spaceships-known-man

https://thumbnails-visually.netdna-ssl.com/all-scifi-spaceships-known-to-man_52448ad9767ff_w1500.jpg

TLDR:

- Consider scaling the ship up 5x or 10x for easier construction or choose a different ship

I was semi-successfull with this website, converted to blocks only gives you easily measureable templates in terms of aspect ratio... rest is a matter of replacing blocks with angled shapes... maybe your .obj-files are compatible, too? Had to convert some to .stl because it only showed a few loose blocks when loading... Oh, and the .xml output files are not compatible with Avorion (sadly...)...

(Currently on beta-branch, so my savegames containing some examples are on backup... will edit them here if i remember later!)

@Pyrax:

It is 58 meters long, but i wanted to use this grid as scale about 180 meters, so it would be about 1 to 3 scale?? Still small, but big enougth for detali.

And i chose the smallest from fleet collection as it is the simplest of them.

@MRT:

This was a timley process: First blender with proper shading and camera at flat view side i rendered with openGL flat PNG. I used bunch of Blender tutorials for that. Rendered each side separatly. That with gimp added filter->render->grid to each one.

@Fox:

Wow! I would love it if i could see it few moments [hours] earlier! Hmmm... is it really not compatible? There are few changes [more like diferances] to XML, Voxelizer gives voxel by voxel position. This is memory-consumig after all, so first Avorion fuses as many voxels as possible, [just make a 100x100x100 cube of 0.1 blocs to crash my PC], and beside that Avorion voxels have properties, the easy one are material and coulor. Up to this point it would be fairly easy to write some code to convert this. But: HP. Somehow it is calculated for every voxel based on its size [i guess/assume]. But two things make it reasonably hard to imposibble: Index/parent block, relative positioning. After creating and naming blocks they are positionet relative to parent block. And than there is that STRANGE thing going on: The grids are so uneaven! Like its always a matter of 0,0000019... I dont get it.

Using your 3:1 scale makes the red lines in your photo = 1 avorion unit, and grey lines = 0.1

You should be able to get the majority of the detail you require at this scale. Set your "Grid Size" = 0.05 and "Scale Step" to "0.1" in the building editor. Also open up the "Block Stats" box so you can manually enter X, Y, Z for size if required. I would recommend building your ship in layers going up/down from the center block to help make your first build easier.

Block stats menu is so usefull thanx!

I still have two problems:

Transition from edge block 1x1 [angle 45'] to edge block 1x2 [angle 30'/60']. To make it smooth seems impossible.

I tryed to make slim plates on slopes, and it is fine as long as they are straight. Sloped ones get crazy.

• 2 weeks later...