Halp with modeling

Pirat

• 4 months later...

Looks like the upper dome portion of the Millennium Falcon's round central body, which I just made last night.

My approach for round shapes was similar to the image you linked, though I didn't know about that particular pattern last night. I made a solid disk shape and an 'O' or donut shape, as shown in your picture. The Disc is the top center of the total dome. Then I used simple wedges (edge) pieces to layout a guide for my dome shape by creating a thin slice of wedges to make an ideal slice of my dome. I also added a center block to my donut shape, which can be deleted out later, and this provided a handy center block for using block-center snap.

With the guides giving me a visual cue for the perfect dome shape, I began scaling with W and S to make donut pieces wider and wider and applying each centered under the disk shape. Use the block-center snap. The center block added to the donut shape makes it super quick. I had scaling snap set down to .1 m, and used .1 and .2 thick donut shapes. You just 'laminate' the donut shapes to form a complete dome. At .1 and .2 thick donut shapes, it took about 20 donuts stacked under my top cap-disk to form a 20 meter diameter dome.

That said, given that Avorian is NOT technically a voxel game in the same way that Minecraft and Starmade are, I don't see why it can't provide some additional primitive shapes, such as disk (or quarter-disc shape; add 4 together and scale up to any diameter and length to make round pillars, missile or nacelle bodies, etc.), dome or quarter dome or 1/8 sphere (add together to make domes and spheres), donuts discs quarters for hollow cylinder shapes (or maybe a way to 'shell' out any primitive shape, even cubes; or add in a boolean operation you can apply to accomplish the same shelling operation and create many other forms as well). These added primitives would really reduce the block count and polygons required to make circular and spherical shapes.