[Mod] [0.12.4] Ship-to-Ship Boarding rev2

bzy-xyz

"Boarding is not yet implemented" - now it is!

Here's a mechanism by which you can board NPC vessels (not player vessels yet, sorry!).

For 0.12.4.

Archive as attachment.

Patch file (from stock): https://pastebin.com/JguGG04V

Patch file (from rev1): https://pastebin.com/WnrcLb5E

Installation:

• Back up your Avorion scripts directory.
  • Copy all files from scripts/ in the archive into your Avorion scripts directory.

Installation (advanced users):

• Apply the provided patch file.

Invert these steps to uninstall.

Usage:

• Get some boarders.
  • Find a target ship and target it. Observe the vertical bars to the left of the reticle: the red bar is your hypothetical boarding strength, while the cyan bar is the opposing defense strength.
  • If this ship looks like an easy target, then shoot at it until its shields drop below 1%.
  • Then fly within 500 meters of the target ship.
  • Then use the new interaction that pops up. Your shields will drop to zero! So clear out afterwards.
  • Wait until your boarding crew (hopefully) wins.
  • Congratulations, you have boarded a ship! Your surviving boarding crew returns automatically.
  • If things are going pear-shaped, fly within 500 meters of the target ship and use the interaction again. The target shields must be below 1%. This stops the process and retrieves your surviving boarders.

Latest change:

rev2 (2017-07-06)

• Namespaced script.
  • Added boarding strength estimation to HUD reticles.
  • You can now cancel boarding and retrieve all your surviving boarders.

Not yet implemented:

• A nicer boarding UI. Presently, you get chat messages instead, tracking the progress of any boarding action.

Take special note:

• Your shields drop to zero when you initiate a boarding action. This is a feature.
  • Boarding certain ships can break events that expect those ships to be destroyed. Erasing the ship in build mode seems to work.

I promise nothing and guarantee nothing.

shiptoshipboarding_rev2_0.12.4.zip

Didn't checked, but does this mod take in count a ration crew/shipsize on the defender side?

I mean:

If you attack a way bigger ship than yours, a parameter should randomize whether or not the defending crew is "prepared for the reception" and {roleplay} gather in the area you entered and crush your crew, or whether they are running in circles and are taken down one by one, leaving you a chance to win a capture of a way bigger ship.

If you attack a way smaller ship than your, like a little fighter, and you are an hyperspace destroyer of doom, your 756 boarders won't fit in a 1mech1eng4gunners3defenders cola-can ship, and that kind of ship will most likely have {roleplay} 1-2 main corridor, and they can holdthedoooor for quite a while, taking cover and shooting, preventing your boarders (the 8-9 which fitted in the room they boarded in) to progress to the cockpit, or even shoot your small pack of boarded boarders dead!

Why would you do that?

1- To prevent being big cube with engine strapped to the rear= capturing everything to your heart content

2- Roleplay, interresting gameplay and no autowin = interresting game!

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I just thought about Feather's suggestions again. In the case of the cola-can assault, how about the fact that although only 8/9 boarders of yours fit on the cola-can, you still have 100 times those amounts ready to go? You could make it so that, indeed, the target ship has a higher defence rating of sorts than expected given its crew size, but is explained by the fact that this smaller ship bottlenecks your assault force; but also so that your assault force has way more assets to "throw at them", i.e. Zerg rush style / covered in swarming ants approach. You could effectively whittle away their crew over time, if you're willing to use your own boarders as meat grinder cannon fodder. But if that's the approach you want to go for, you should be allowed to.

Hm this gives me so many more ideas. How about robot boarders? Tiny nanobot swarms? Cloning vats so you don't need to hire so many boarders all the time but are passively creating more... er... well... "exalted honorary warriors with a win-or-die philosophy".

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I can't get the mod to work. I downloaded the txt file and put it in the scripts folder but it doesn't work. Does anyone know why?

You downloaded the wrong file.

Below the post is a download attached of a .zip, you need to extract that in your installation folder.

Note that even if this still works, it has some serious flaws so I would advise against installing this on a server.