General Feedback

Dal

This weekend 4 of my friends and I played Avorion all weekend and all on the same server. Totally loving the content so far, and Im eager to see what new things you guys will be adding to the game. Since we played so much this holiday weekend, I wanted to give you guys some feedback before I forget.

1. For people who do not enjoy the building of their ships manually, it would be nice to have the shipyard sell better ship models. e.g. Freighters, Frigates, Cruisers, Battleships, Utility Ships. This could be something the community could handle with the workshop.

2. Server performance was meh. If everyone was clearing pirate attacks in different systems you would see some minor stuttering and glitchiness. However, we had 2 faction wars happen in two different systems simultaneously. That pretty much rendered the server useless. Every NPC in every active sector began looping their behavior and there was no end to it until at least one of the people engaged in the faction war jumped to an empty sector. Im not sure this has been tested on your beta branch with the new code. But this is something worth testing, because if you literally cant have 2 active combat engagements running at the same time, its pretty pointless to even promote multiplayer as a viable feature.

3. Nvidia cards seem to run more stable than AMD. All of the people using AMD kept crashing every few hours, while Nvidia players never saw an issue.

4. If a remote fleet ship is not being simulated and is paused out of sector, the crew payroll for that ship should pause as well.

5. Something needs to be done about docking ships. Seems kinda silly just leaving your ship floating in space when its not being used. I can see having a storage system more towards middle/late game being more useful. When you have ships built for a specific purpose and they are in system un-piloted you have to actively defend them against pirates.

6. It would be nice to see you guys transition to a manufacturing model for all items in game. e.g. Mined Ores are used to manufacture components inside some kind of manufacturing station. Then these manufacturing components are used to make turrets, subsystems, ect. Having to fly around to different stations to purchased really heavy manufacturing components makes me feel like Im being forced into playing the trader game; which IMO is the most boring part of the game. This could also create a proper market for the Galaxy, as all items in game are valued based off of Ores mined, Labor, and Convenience. Ores mined is the only one the game designers have to worry about.

https://goo.gl/NKfRPd - ESXi Server

https://goo.gl/gbYK6M - Allocated VM Specs

https://goo.gl/GmnvKS - ESXi Monitor while server is running.

https://goo.gl/3p5fNK - Win7 Task Manager

The server uses no more than 2.0-3.0gb of RAM, and the CPU hovers around 40%-70% usage under normal load.

EDIT: I'd like to know what you're running as well out of curiosity. I feel that when what I described above happens, the CPU is being pegged at 100%. I wish I could dedicate the entire server to this game to test, but I'm running 5 other game servers on the this machines as well.

3. Nvidia cards seem to run more stable than AMD. All of the people using AMD kept crashing every few hours, while Nvidia players never saw an issue.

...aaaaand that's why I opted for NVidia when I changed my gaming computer last summer. Sad to say this, as AMD cards have a lot of bang for the bucks on paper, but they also tend to be less well supported and thus come with more frequent craches and/or glitches. This tends to be universally true and not limited to Avorion.

1. For people who do not enjoy the building of their ships manually, it would be nice to have the shipyard sell better ship models. e.g. Freighters, Frigates, Cruisers, Battleships, Utility Ships. This could be something the community could handle with the workshop.

2. Server performance was meh. If everyone was clearing pirate attacks in different systems you would see some minor stuttering and glitchiness. However, we had 2 faction wars happen in two different systems simultaneously. That pretty much rendered the server useless. Every NPC in every active sector began looping their behavior and there was no end to it until at least one of the people engaged in the faction war jumped to an empty sector. Im not sure this has been tested on your beta branch with the new code. But this is something worth testing, because if you literally cant have 2 active combat engagements running at the same time, its pretty pointless to even promote multiplayer as a viable feature.

1. Agreed, but until a lot of upcoming features come into the game, the game's ship generation won't be updated (or at least it shouldn't be updated much). So, as you've pointed out, in the new beta branch there is workshop support. Prior to that, you can head over to the creations subforum and download blueprints manually, it's actually not that complicated.

2. I can't speak from experience since I've been putting avorion off and haven't really messed with singleplayer yet, but Koonschi did say that the code was reworked a fair bit to improve performance, especially since the number of simulated sectors was increased in the beta branch. So yeah, the stable branch is likely to be much, much more demanding.