Overall in Inventory & more

gn_leugim

Suggestion

Hi there

So, I was at the research lab and I noticed one thing. there is a great lack of information. I know from travellers talk that I can put in 3 or 5 items to get one new, but this information, as well what you might get when you insert objects on the "lab tubes" would be usefull information. Also, and more importantly, the list of systems/turrets you can pick and drag, is a complete mess. I don't know if they are ordered, the thing is, when you have hundreds of turrets and systems, even if you know what you want to throw in, you waste so much time just searching for them in the list. So I would suggest you add a form of sorting the list you have in the research lab.

Talking about sorting and searching items in inventory (or even in build menu), I would also be a great addition to the game if we could pick different viewing styles. Right now we have this big thumbnails we have to put our cursor over to display the properties, but would be great if we could change, if we see fit, to detailed list mode (a bit like in windows explorer) where we could see the properties of the turret or system and quickly compare them to others, without having to move the mouse all over the place and memorize things. Also, filters would be a great addition, like, "Show only X type", or "show only >X omicrons". Talking about omicrons, this information could also be displayed in the turret thumbnail too.

This would make life easier to chose your turrets and system to place them in a ship, because once you get +300 of them, things get difficult to handle

3 answers to this suggestion

Just to add to this suggestion, put in a text box that we can use to filter items in the inventory. Example: typing Lasers in the textbox would only show items that have "Lasers" in any part of their name. (Don't know if this is already a thing though)

Hey everyone,

I have now played the game for about 30 hours and basically the inventory management, more for turrets than for upgrades, is the one mechanic I would currently describe as the most tedious.

The two most common cases in which the inventory is used are probably the research window and the building menu.

In both cases I support the suggestions of gn_leugim and Volken, that more filtering options and list views would make it a lot easier to work with the inventory.

After playing for some time, collecting turrets, I want to swap out the worst turrets for some better ones. Unfortunately, right now I have to remove all of the turrets I have built and search through the whole list to find the best ones I then have, as I cant see which were the worst of the equipped.

Here are some of my ideas on how to improve this situation for the building menu:

1. Ability to mark turrets as favorites, for example by selecting them with the middle mouse button. The marked turrets could then be sorted to a special favorites category and marked with a star in the picture.

2. Ability to view the stats of the equipped turrets in a info box in the building menu. This could be done by selecting the turret using middle mouse button, like currently implemented with blocks.

The following ideas are alternatives of one another:

3. Have one window for blocks/shapes and one window for turrets in the building menu, or at least separate tabs.

- The turret window could then have dropdown menus, like in the player menu "Inventory", with additional categories as for example "Turret Type".

- Add a list of equipped weapons to the turrets menu.

This could be handled like the separation of the building blocks and turrets at the moment. It would allow easier comparisons especially when viewed in a file-manager-like "Details" list view.

4. Separate selection of turrets from the building menu:

- When building you could add a new special block to the ship which would act as a "turret base"

- The "Equip"-menu, which could be a tab in the ship menu like the upgrades, would have the view of the ship, as in the overview tab, and a list of the turret bases. Then you could move the turrets from the inventory list to the list of bases, or to the representing slots on the model (similar to the upgrades slots but in 3D). In both cases obviously the other one has to be updated as well.

I am probably going to write down some more suggestions in the future, but I might wait until after the next patch. :)

Cheers