[Solved] Background Option Limited to Low

Greatheart

Heya. A friend of mine is playing Avorion and about a week ago had a laptop crash. Ever since he can't change some of his graphic options. The "Background" option can only be set to low and has no other options for him. Before he had the settings on high. Now the stars in the background are blocky and the item drops miss their "swirl" effect so he can barely see them.

I've tried uninstalling the game, deleting all the old folders (including appdata) and re-installing to no avail. Beta and normal clients are the same. Also tried manually editing his settings.ini file for the backgrounds but it reset once I loaded the game. It's almost as if the game client no longer recognises there's an option other than "Low".

CPU: I3-3110M 2.40GHz

GPU: Intel HD Graphics 4000 (Driver is up to date)

(I know it's pretty bad but he had no problem running the game.)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Have you tried changing the in file and setting the permissions so no one can modify? Can always take ownership using local admin privileges later.

That's actually a really good idea! Fortunately the latest beta branch seems to have fixed it so hopefully it won't come back but if it does I'll try that! Thanks!  :D