Independent Targeting uses crew instead of special weapon, no DPS penalty

multox

Suggestion

Please make any turret be usable with Independent Targeting.  Please remove the DPS penalty from Independent Targeting.  Instead, weapons that are used in automatic mode should require more crew to man since the captain is no longer assuming direct control. 

It doesn't make any sense to me that turrets shooting with dedicated crew are less capable than turrets that are en masse controlled by the captain.  I don't see how the captain having direct control over each and every weapon would increase each weapon's DPS.  It also, for me anyway, reduces the realism of the game.  I'd really like to see broadside battles be more of a thing for the larger ships. 

1 answer to this suggestion

It's to reward player's aim. The idea is that a player can miss.

Also, when you're moving, it affects your projectiles while beams are always hitscan and pinpoint.

Auto-aim weapons compensate for all of this, each. That's why the damage reduction. Balance issues.

Check this out, though:

https://www.avorion.net/forum/index.php?topic=4153.msg22165

I'd have nothing against auto-aim weapons doing more damage if there's too much crew assigned to weapons. Let's say up to 160% damage for weapons with built-in auto-aim when there's 130% crew assigned. Does nothing for manually aimed weapons.