Ship stats UI displays angular velocity instead of angular acceleration?

ZK456

Suggestion

Hi everyone!

First of all I wanted to say congratulations for creating this awesome game! I spent many hours designing ships, and I particularily enjoy how physics are handled.

Coming from KSP, Avorion ship design may not be as accurate but it is still 'arcadey' for most people to get in the game quickly, while being complex enough to give a good challenge if you want to optimize your ships. Good balance if you ask me.

That being said, there is something I don't understand, and sorry if I'm in the wrong section. Suppose you have a ship with thrusters, built along the X axis and facing the Z axis.

They give your ship braking speed by providing an acceleration -or in that case, deceleration- to your ship's mass. Like 120 m.s-2 to 150.000 tons. So they apply a force in Newtons.

They also give your ship turning capabilities around the Y axis (yaw) by applying torque, yet, the game display a value in rad/s, which kinda makes no sense (or maybe I suck at physics?)

It seems that the game engine handle angular acceleration (I measured rpms/t and time to stop), even if angular speed is somehow capped.

So my question is: what does the values for pitch/yaw/roll correspond to? 1s of acceleration?

And my suggestion is: could the game display angular acceleration instead of velocity?

2 answers to this suggestion

My guess is that is the maximum angular velocity you can reach.

My ship is agile, so it's almost always turning at that full speed and I don't even notice the angular acceleration.

P.S.: the camera leads the ship when you try to roll for some reason. Anyone knows how to disable that?

Hmm maybe you're right and it works like the 'max velocity' stat on the main engines, but I have my doubts about that. I'll try this on a ship with a huge moment of inertia to check if that's the case.

It's not really an issue for small-ish ships (like anything under 8-10 slots). But since the moment of inertia basically goes up with the square length on each axis (assuming uniform density), it really starts to become difficult to get maneuverable ships once your core (shields, generator, ... all the heavy stuff) already occupies something like a 50^3 cube.

I get that this is physics, and it is normal, but I would like a way to properly estimate the amount of thrusters and gyro to attain a certain angular acceleration/speed.

P.S.: I believe the camera leads the ship for every direction you face (since there is a time needed four your ship to adjust it's angles), it's just that somehow it's more visible while rolling.