Multiple shields / Directional shields

Uthael

Suggestion

In Build mode, when you add a Shield Generator, a "Shield configuration" button gets enabled. There, you can delete the looks of the default shield and build your own with "shield blocks". They have to connect to a Shield generator block. They don't mind being built through other blocks. Here, different Shield Generators are highlighted while the rest of the ship is shown with reduced opacity.

You can connect separate parts of your shield to different generators. If your front shield fails, you can turn the ship and still have a shield. You know... That front shield and rear shield talk.

Generators without a shield connected add maximum health and regeneration to all shields, averaging with their volume.

Generators with a shield connected ignore other shields.

Power drain is calculated from the shield's volume and its strength is determined by the size of Shield Generators you connect to it. Minimum size is 1x1x1 so people don't build paper-thick, low-power but strong shields.

If you want, you can assign different shields to different power priorities. If you don't, it's all just one power requirement bar.

3 answers to this suggestion

While I cannot speak to easy for the devs to implement, with some other balance changes this would be an amazingly fun mechanic and give capital ships a little more reason to stay engaged in what they are doing beyond jump in and make sure auto targeting turrets are on.

Such a wonderful idea !

I once made a station with a giant external yard with four antennae to try to make a cubic shield to protect ships inside the yard, but it didn't work :(.

Even putting holograms didn't change the shape of the shield, so d'oh, I'll have to wait for shield configurability changes.

Such a wonderful idea !

I once made a station with a giant external yard with four antennae to try to make a cubic shield to protect ships inside the yard, but it didn't work :(.

Even putting holograms didn't change the shape of the shield, so d'oh, I'll have to wait for shield configurability changes.

Now, THAT's a wonderful idea! Wow... The tactical possibilites that offers... And it might even look good!