Systems overclocking

Uthael

Suggestion

Assign up to 500% power to a system to get up to 200% better performance. Non-linear. Acceleration and maximum speed for thrusters, recharge rate for shields/hyperspace jumps (not amount/distance), damage only for weapons that cost power.

Performance - power drain

100% - X1

150% - X2

175% - X3

190% - X4

200% - X5

5 answers to this suggestion

Errr, no. This will end up with people pushing generators further and further. Also, it doesn't make any sense in terms of being realistic (I know it isn't that important, but it feels kinda bad).

You can't just push power to engine and expect it to work better - it will overheat and will be destroyed after a while. What you may mean by your suggestion is overloading systems. One way of overloading systems is in the game: you can boost with your engines, but you end up using more power. And it makes sense - if you overheat your engines you'll need power to get rid of the temperature by using some sort of devices that use power (ventilation or something else).

I imagine this could work for shields quite well (increased recharge rate for increasingly more power), but I'm unsure how would it work with the balance. :V

@both of you - That's why the non-linear growth.

Balancing shouldn't be an issue. Make the curve steeper if you want.

You'd be better off upgrading those systems themselves than power generators. At least, it should be so.

Bigger SHOULD be better. That's why it costs more and is harder to move.

But that damage over time because something is overclocked is a good idea!

I see what your getting at, but that initial jump concerns me that happens to 150%.

X2 power consumption at around 130% would be better or even 125%.  In addition. I agree to the damage over time. The ship entirely loses ability to self reapair until OC is taken off and takes a slow damage over time that grows in proportion to the amount of overclock.

However this would have to be some form of toggle ability, and the npc factions/pirates/xsotan need more balance and composition to even warrant it's use.

As for bigger is better, I think bigger should always be more powerful, have more presence and a variance of utility, but not necessarily better. This however is a topic for another thread.

"The ship entirely loses ability to self reapair until OC is taken off and takes a slow damage over time that grows in proportion to the amount of overclock."

You'd need 150% mechanics to cover it. But that's 20% over the cap so you end up taking damage.

"npc factions/pirates/xsotan need more balance and composition to even warrant it's use."

How about they get to use it, too? They should have the crew stats of at least 100%, right? Auto-repair and all.