New Player: Frustrated by Pirates

jonTucich

Hi,

I bought the game today, but I'm a bit frustrated because while building my first ship, it was destroyed by pirates that invaded the area.  Is this normal? Do I need to quickly build a fighting ship?  I read in a thread the suggestion to build a ship in sandbox mode, then import the model. 

That's a good idea, but I'm still in the tutorial! 

It seems to me that getting my first ship wiped out while trying to follow the on-screen prompts is bad.  Did I miss something?  (I used the default settings on game startup.)

Also, while in Build mode, is there any way to have nothing on the cursor?  I kept wanting to press a key to make the green outline of the item I had just placed go away, but it seemed my only option was to select a different object to place.

Again, I'm a bit frustrated, so I apologize if I sound like I'm whining here.

thanks,

jon

It can sometimes happen, alas, despite the measures taken to make the beginning sector more sure and the first few minutes eventless. Maybe the grace period needs to be extended.

For maximum security, start building near a station dock, begin by engine and thrusters (or put'em fairly early), exit build mode when the ship is flyable, get 4 generic crewmen and assign them as engineers, then resume building. This will allow you to make a getaway at full speed if needed.

Then when notified, fly to another sector: pirate attacks go round the "player events" timer whick triggers more or less every eleven minutes :).

In case of respawn in a pirate infested sector, go to the first non-orange-or-red gate you see (gates have a square icon) with the drone, which can infinitely boost at a speed titanium-grade pirates usually don't reach (300 m/s).

If you see no gate, boost anyway for a minute or so to get acquainted with the surrounding and find it.

In still-absence of gate (really unlucky but possible scenario), go to the nearest green blip on the galaxy map (using the context menu option talking about a navigational computer) and jump using space.

In absence of green blips or if the blips are 9+ sectors away, make a new galaxy (that's way too much of a bad start to begin that isolated).

If it happens too much, try to make a galaxy on Creative Mode and Beginner difficulty (I think Medium level NPCs do 25% base damage and Beginner level NPCs 2,5% damage, so some enemies may have difficulty even killing the default building block in less than a minute ::)), make a dummy ship to fly through gates and find a "neutral zone" sector, those tend to have way less pirates.

Also for the Build Mode: To have nothing on the cursor, click on the "select blocks" button.

It seems that the F1 or F2 key makes a keyboard shortcut list appear on build mode.

Hi,

I bought the game today, but I'm a bit frustrated because while building my first ship, it was destroyed by pirates that invaded the area.  Is this normal? Do I need to quickly build a fighting ship?  I read in a thread the suggestion to build a ship in sandbox mode, then import the model. 

That's a good idea, but I'm still in the tutorial! 

It seems to me that getting my first ship wiped out while trying to follow the on-screen prompts is bad.  Did I miss something?  (I used the default settings on game startup.)

Also, while in Build mode, is there any way to have nothing on the cursor?  I kept wanting to press a key to make the green outline of the item I had just placed go away, but it seemed my only option was to select a different object to place.

Again, I'm a bit frustrated, so I apologize if I sound like I'm whining here.

thanks,

jon

Hi, here the tip.

1. If pirate invade, get out from sector. O sectpry away suffice.

2. Or you could run away with your thruster. Dont get too close with pirate. Pirathe have maxed speed of 300 m/s then jump away.

3. Have shield. Go to naonite or trinitium materials. The closer to galaxy center will give you a better item.

4. Let faction ship attacking them.

Hi,

Thanks for the replies, but - I was still in the tutorial.  I don't know how to move to another sector.  Nor did I have a ship with weapons or thrusters.

The other ships in the sector were fighting them, and I was near a repair base.

jon

Hi,

Thanks for the replies, but - I was still in the tutorial.  I don't know how to move to another sector.  Nor did I have a ship with weapons or thrusters.

The other ships in the sector were fighting them, and I was near a repair base.

jon

to go to other sector :

1. press m

2. see blue line ? that was your warp drive range. you can jump inside that range only.

3. right click inside that, and add coordination.

4. then the nav will calculate the jump drive, wait for it to finish. press m to exit the map.

5. aim to that blue rectangle, then press spacebar. (you ship must aim at that rectangle)

you will do this a LOT.

I'm sure he knows it by now. The problem is that he got blown up before he had a chance to learn.

Solution:

Players could start in a home sector of a faction. And pirates shouldn't even try to invade those.

There is such thing as common sense.

Why didnt make thruster ? Why getting close to pirates ?

• 2 weeks later...

Hey there. I'm another fairly new player, I'm now about 35-ish hours in.

If you're anything like me and really love to flesh out details or get creative with builds, then it takes some time. I had many instances of getting attacked mid-build.

After some hard lessons, here's my 2 cents:

- have a plan in mind. Keep it simple.

- build your most basic shape near a station, so you can hire crew quickly(you have to be docked to hire crew).

- Place engines and thrusters early! That way you can get away. Or go fly out to the edge of a sector to build well away from anyone. Keep an eye on those pirates, tho...

- remember any block can be turned into any other block, so you can always upgrade later.

- you can select a sector to hyperspace jump to at anytime, and it'll stay ready to go, even if you go back into the builder, etc. Makes for quick response sector change.

- I've seen several helpful Avorion youtube videos, they certainly helped me get around the initial learning curve.

well, I hope you stick around! I was frustrated early on but now am rather hooked. It still hurts to lose a ship, but I'm learning that's the nature of this game...

I've read in code that it's literally impossible to get attacked in the first 30 minutes of playing the game. Enemies don't spawn during that time. This time could be extended to allow for some more leeway, but that would mean also that players don't encounter enemies until 1 hour in, the extra half an hour that may be well-needed to get player's hooked by the tension of a threatening galaxy and the allure of a dangerous but unexplored place to run around in going to waste.

I think one thing is fair: Pirates shouldn't attack the home sector. Or at least, there should be a flag that's set to "false" as long as someone is following the tutorial. If they abandon it, or complete it, then attacks should be allowed to start.

----

As for building tips, I always almost build in one of two locations:

[*]at the edge of a Sector, behind a Station like a Shipyard; or

[*]way way out in space by boosting away 60 km or more from the center of the Sector.

This usually ensures I can build in peace, no matter what comes into play. But I've gotten good at emergency speed-building in the heat of battle, too. You get used to that with my playstyle. ;)

----

Back to the topic at hand though: yes, I agree jon, it's shitty if you got blown up in the tutorial when you were trying to learn the basics of the game. This game is still in alpha, and needs a lot of work before it can ensure players don't have unfortunate experiences like that. Hope you're still gonna have fun with this game: I've put a ton of hours into it myself. It's one of my favourite games of all time so far. So hope you can find some enjoyment in it, too. :)

At some point beginning pirates seem to have gotten some sort of buff. Used to be maybe 10 max, or very rarely rare drop a spawn of 30 omicron for beginning pirates, now they normally have 60+ frequently past 100 which is enough to vaporize a beginning player ship

People, you're all going a bit far, aren't you?

What I do when building a ship is let the shipyard build a default randomised ship.

Then tell it to follow you.

Take it about 40 km in the opposite direction of the sector center.

AI never spawn that far away and will be attracted to other stations or ships.

You will be completely safe.

Easy peasy.

Yea but where's the fun in that? Live life dangerously, man. Just yesterday, after having finally revived my capital ship, the successor to The Queen's Resurrection, succeeding The Queen's Revenge, succeeding The Queen, The Queen's Return, got smashed to smithereens on a damn Xsotan scumbag that got in the way while I was trying to boost to safety after an ambush hit by a freak giga cannon.

And so the story continues. Heirs follow heirs, untimely as their ancestors' demise may be, but the bloodline is secured. The Queen's Recrudescence is already in the dockyards, heralding in a new time of peace in the galaxy, free of Xsotan or Pirate scum. The neighbours are cheerful, and with hope look up with starry-eyed wonder, to that beacon of safety, that beacon of plenty, that is the Glorious and Magnificent Empire of Shrooblord the Magnanimously Marvellous, Praise Be His Kin, Guardian of all Life in the Shroobiverse (Bar Xsotan or Pirate Scumlords).