Hangs at loading screen when starting single player game - windows -

NIGHT

I start the game from steam,  at the main menue i click start single player game >  create new galaxy > select "normal" game mode > veteran dificulty > enter galaxy name and seed> click start

A loading screen apears with a game tip and the words "starting single player ..." the loading screen has a picture of a spaceship.  After about 1 second the ambient lighting on the spaceship dims or adjusts slightly and i think i hear the background music restart.  after that nothing changes.  Normaly i would expect to see the games playing environment apear on the screen very quickly on this PC.  I have played the game on this PC for many hours on different ocaisions but probably my last play before this was many months ago or more.  I have updated the drivers on my graphics card and that has not fixed the issue.

clientlog 2023-12-11 16-04-43.txt

serverlog 2023-12-11 16-06-51.txt

having restarted the the program and start single player in the galaxy that just had the problem,  that galaxy shows playtim equivelant to the amount of time i sat at the loading screen

PC

Device name    ------
Processor    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790K CPU @ 4.00GHz   4.00 GHz
Installed RAM    16.0 GB
Device ID    ----
Product ID    -----
System type    64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Pen and touch    No pen or touch input is available for this display

windows 10 pro version 22h2

graphics card

Nvidia GTX 980

I updated the graphics driver after encountering this problem to the "game ready" version from the maufacturees website

I have many games in my collection and the ones I have played recently all seem to be working fine on my PC, including a variety of games and some fairly recent titles

Any help would be appreciated.

I have the exact issue too!!

My hardware is AMD 5600X3D CPU, RX6700XT GPU, and 32GB RAM.

I start new game, waiting for the galaxy to be generated, and when it says I'm entering world that is when the game crashes.

The game works just fine if I role it back to 2.3, but in 2.4.1 and 2.4.1 beta it crashes and there's  a very slim chance of it working as intended but 95% of the time it crashes on the creating/joining world.

Edited by JohnieBoi

• Boxelware Team

The log files suggest there seems to be some networking issue and the machine can not communicate with 127.0.0.1 / localhost, which would mean it can't communicate with itself.

Is there anything unusual about your networking setup? Do you use VPNs or some Hyper-V Virtualization features?

My log also brings up about the 127.0.0.1 error and my networking setup is just a basic one really, no VPNs or anything fancy.

But when I change the Beta Participation on Steam to 2.3.2 I just works without question or issue and the 2.4.1 is virtually unplayable.

I got both versions of the logs if that helps. Also thank you!

(2.3.2)clientlog 2023-12-14 22-10-27.txt(2.4.1)clientlog 2023-12-14 21-59-58.txt

Edited by JohnieBoi
Adding Thanks

When I put Steam in offline mode, I do get a bit more luck of it not crashing, but the odds of entering the galaxy and not crashing is now like a gamble.

I want to say its not crashing on loading/generating the galaxy, just when entering the galaxy after it loads, but I wouldn't know.

My theory is that its a memory issue. cause when it fails it shows memory locations and when it passes its playable and not show memory locations.

(Failed)clientlog 2023-12-15 10-37-32.txt (Pass)clientlog 2023-12-15 10-35-46.txt

• Boxelware Team
2 hours ago, JohnieBoi said:

When I put Steam in offline mode, I do get a bit more luck of it not crashing, but the odds of entering the galaxy and not crashing is now like a gamble.

I want to say its not crashing on loading/generating the galaxy, just when entering the galaxy after it loads, but I wouldn't know.

My theory is that its a memory issue. cause when it fails it shows memory locations and when it passes its playable and not show memory locations.

(Failed)clientlog 2023-12-15 10-37-32.txt 21.71 kB · 0 downloads (Pass)clientlog 2023-12-15 10-35-46.txt 34.6 kB · 0 downloads

Your logs look like it could be a GPU driver related issue.

You could test if the AMD Pro drivers https://www.amd.com/de/technologies/software-pro make a difference.

On 12/14/2023 at 6:47 PM, Hans said:

The log files suggest there seems to be some networking issue and the machine can not communicate with 127.0.0.1 / localhost, which would mean it can't communicate with itself.

Is there anything unusual about your networking setup? Do you use VPNs or some Hyper-V Virtualization features?

Thanks very much for your reply and help.  Turning off my VPN does indeed allow the game to start properly for me.  As far as I can see, after trying it each way, steam offline mode is not having an impact.

I do appreciate your help.  I'm glad i made the effort to find this forum.  It would be great if you could arrange it so that i dont have to turn off my VPN to start this game.  There are many games I play that dont requier me to do this,  even including games that have a lot of online stuff happening such as Ark Survival for example, among others.

Your game is great and very original.  Keep up the good work! xx

• Boxelware Team
On 12/15/2023 at 8:41 PM, JohnieBoi said:

I test the AMD Pro drivers and sadly it didn't made a difference. What I don't understand is why 2.3.2 works just fine and 2.4.1/2.4.2 doesn't

I got the comparison of the logs here

(2.3.2 AMD Pro)clientlog 2023-12-15 14-13-37.txt 25.1 kB · 2 downloads (2.4.2 AMD Pro)clientlog 2023-12-15 14-10-14.txt 21.26 kB · 2 downloads

Possible workaround:

If you have an AMD card and your driver version is 23.12.1 and Avorion crashes when trying to enter a galaxy please try this:

- search the Internet for "AMD {your GPU} previous drivers", for example "AMD RX 6700 XT previous drivers"
- you should get a search result from the official AMD website (for example: Previous Drivers for RX 6700 XT)
- Download driver version 23.11.1
- Install it
- Reboot
- Try again if you can start Avorion and enter a single or multiplayer galaxy
- Please report back here if this works for you or not, with the exact model name of your GPU.

• Thanks 2

I can Happily say that your suggestion of downgrading the driver to 23.11.1 made the game playable for me again, so far no issues 😄

The model name is "Sapphire 11306-02-20G Pulse AMD Radeon RX 6700 XT" I got an amazon link if that helps.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08YNQ4ZM1/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I hope that this will be added to the next patch so I can keep my system on the latest version of everything

Also thanks a million for helping me troubleshoot this, and marry x-mas/happy holidays!

• 2 weeks later...

I just upgraded my GTX1050 to an RX 6600, and when trying to run Avorion on the RX6600 I had exactly the same error.  Downgrading the driver to 23.11.1 fixed the issue for me also.   Is this a problem with Avorion being incompatible with the latest Radeon drivers, or is it a bug in the latest Radeon drivers?

For me I tried a bit of everything, so far the only solutions to make the game playable again is to either downgrade the AMD graphics drives to 23.11.1, or to downgrade game back  to version 2.3.2 in Steam. I want to say its the graphics drives but if the game works just fine on version 2.3.2 with the latest drivers then stop working after game version 2.4.0, I want to say its the game's update that triggered something. but again its just my theory and I could be very off.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Just here to chime in that I have same problem with my RX5700 and using the latest AMD drivers (24.1.1)

However, I seem to have reduced the number of crashes by switching to windowed mode and
1. change game resolution
2. restart game
3. load save

Edited by nimbles