Can't start the game because "Your plaer name is invalid"

RandomSpaceMonkey

Hi. The game doesn't like my Steam user name because it has non-ASCII characters. And that's fine, except it's not just a cosmetic issue, I just can't play the game at all. There is also player name visible in the settings, but not editable, that's annoying!

I understand that this will probably be solved if I edited my Steam profile name, but I don't really want to. Could you please either let me edit the name in-game, or use this new thing called Unicode so that my player name is not restricted by the American standards of the 1960s?

• Boxelware Team

What is the full error message? Is this an issue only when steam is in offline mode? Please test if it works when you first put steam in online mode and then start Avorion.

If it is still an issue, please attach the client log and server log from a failed attempt. Log file locations are described here: https://forum.avorion.net/index.php?/topic/19-read-this-first/ 

• Boxelware Team

We expect non-ASCII player names to work if both the server and the client are properly connected to steam. Was this really the full error message? Or did it contain "connection refused" as well?

To help us diagnose why it does not work as expected we need as much context as possible. Is this single player or multi player? Can you provide log files?