Making Warp Gates as well as Debug mode "Set Gate Plan"

nemuasakura

So here is what i have trouble with. Basically what I want is if i find a sector with claimable asteroids, i build mines on them and eventually build space stations but I dont know for sure whether NPCs come in and trade with my stations.

I am assuming it will make it easier for NPCs to come to my sector if there is a warp gate. And if so how can I make a warp gate, I dont mind cheating in this part or even using the debug mode. Speaking of which i saw a command to set Gate Plan which turns the current ship i control into a warp gate, am I missing what to do after? like some sort of command to set destination for the warp gate?

And an extra bonus question is that if i sell a claimable asteroid to another faction, with they actually build a mine on it at some point? I even did this where, I sold one claimable asteroid in a sector and kept the other asteroid and built a mine. Just because I thought maybe if anothe faction is in the same sector, then the sector would get traffic.

I know its an essay but would appreciate any input or answer.

Haha not an essay. You should see my posts. They're rarely shorter than the one you just posted. :P

Let me answer as much as I can.

[*]The Gates you find during a normal playthrough are generated by the random procedural universe generation. When a new Sector gets generated, it also has a random chance of spawning a Gate, and immediately sets this up to be linked to another Sector, which will automatically also get at least one Gate, back to the Sector being generated.

[*]NPC Traders as far as I can tell have come in based on their proximity to your stations, not the presence of Gates. I set up a new Sector which was completely blank, not even asteroids in there, hauled some Claimable Asteroids over there using a mod, and set up my mines there. I have three neighbours in somewhat close proximity. My Sector is constantly packed with Traders, five at a time currently, but they're always from the one neighbour who's about 3 Sectors away. Keep that in mind when setting up Factories and Mines. I'm not an expert on this matter, but that's what I've found out so far.

[*]Spawning Gates yourself isn't easily doable using the original code itself. You'll need to look through the Sector generation scripts and find the two or three functions that initialise Gates after the Gate objects have been spawned. Even then I haven't figured out yet whether your changes get saved. I've been trying to crack that cookie for a while now for a different reason: I'd like to rename my Sectors. Anyhoo, that's still part of my research.

[*]If you do find out which functions specifically you need, you can run those scripts on a specific entity by opening up Chat with Enter, typing in /run followed by the name of the function you want to run. I'm sure you've figured this out already, since you mention using the Entity Debugger, which for the record is summoned by using /run Entity():addScript("lib/entitydbg.lua"). Notcie the Entity(): part here; it tells /run to run the script attached to the currently selected entity. So select your Gate object first. Also, it can't run functions from scripts that aren't attached to it first, so use the addScript() function exactly as you do when adding the Entity Debugger to an entity, except replace the lib/entitydbg.lua with whatever script you want to attach to your selected object.

[*]I don't know about sold Asteroids being used later. I've never stuck around long enough to find out. I hope so. If not, I bet it's something they want to implement in the future.

[*]Welcome to the forum!! :D