How to modify docking distance?

Cyka

I've looked through what I believe to be all the code considering the tractor beams, and I have not found values to modify for their specific activation, the distance from which they actually activate or the speed at which they drag ships towards the dock.

They don't specifically get activated as far as I can tell, but rather are internally activated by the core game code as soon as docks:startDocking() is called (where docks is a predefined shorthand for the appropriate code; see dock.lua, for example).

Furthermore, as soon as docks:startDocking() is called, the tractor beams appear and grab the ship passed to that function. This is interesting, because it can happen anywhere in the Sector. However, they are purely visual until the ship approaches ~0.5 km distance to the dock (this varies a little; I've also seen ships being grabbed at around 0.75 km and only starting at 0.25 km), at which point they inactivate all functionality, even script ticking (you can't, for example, hide UI buttons while this proces is taking place), on the ship in question, until it has docked.

The good news is I was succesful in my efforts: I have made an Automatic Docking mod. Please stay tuned. It will appear soon. ^^