Lost in LUA

Eviscerator

The answer, and I know I'm starting to sound like a broken record, is it depends. It depends a lot on what it is you want to do exactly.

Take a look at data/scripts/lib/upgradegenerator.lua:

function UpgradeGenerator.getProbabilities()
    local rarities = {}

table.insert(rarities, Rarity(-1))
    table.insert(rarities, Rarity(0))
    table.insert(rarities, Rarity(1))
    table.insert(rarities, Rarity(2))
    table.insert(rarities, Rarity(3))
    table.insert(rarities, Rarity(4))
    table.insert(rarities, Rarity(5))

local weights = {}

table.insert(weights, 16)
    table.insert(weights, 48)
    table.insert(weights, 16)
    table.insert(weights, 8)
    table.insert(weights, 4)
    table.insert(weights, 1)
    table.insert(weights, 0.2)

return rarities, weights
end

The weights there determine how likely it is for an Upgrade to have a certain rarity. So if you wanted the drop rate of certain rarities to change, that's where to look. Alternatively, the function UpgradeGenerator.getSectorProbabilities(x, y) on line 75 of the same file has some more weights that are calculated rather than set-in-stone. These determine the likelihood of certain Upgrade rarities dropping based on the proximity of the player to the Galactic Core.

Similarly, turretgenerator.lua exists in the same folder.

The drop rates for System Module Upgrades and Turrets from Salvage, however, I could not find modifiable data for. I believe this is because these drops actually require the Salvage to have been equipped with them pre-destruction, although I admit I do not fully understand how this works for Salvage generated for the likes of Scrapyards or in random Sectors with Salvage floating around just like that.

I have to go now - I have an appointment -, so if anyone's curious, investigating how Salvage like that is generated may lead to further clues.

P.S.

Helpful phrases to search the lua scripts for may include:

loot, upgrade or Upgrade (tip: search pgrade to catch both), turret or Turret (tip: urret), reward or Reward (tip: yeah yeah you get it), rarity, weight, salvage or Salvage.

Well, what I wanted to do was exactly what I said. Modify the drop rate so that systems and turrets drop more or less frequently.  I didn't want to modify rarity or quality.  I haven't touched the game in almost a year, so I'm really missing the old xml files where I used to be able to tweak drop frequency based on block destruction.

I was reaching the same conclusion you did, that it's now hard-coded somewhere and no longer moddable, but thought I'd ask to be sure I didn't miss it somewhere.

Looks like I have to modify the tables for all rarities and see if that works.

There's also the server.ini file in each galaxy (in the C users appdata roaming folder), which has options like

LootDiminishingFactor=0.00499999989

ResourceDropChance=0.400000006

TurretDropChanceFromTurret=0.0250000004

TurretDropChanceFromCraft=0.25

TurretDropChanceFromBlock=0.00499999989

SystemDropChanceFromCraft=0.200000003

SystemDropChanceFromBlock=0.00499999989

ColorDropChanceFromCraft=0.0500000007

ColorDropChanceFromBlock=0.00249999994