I need a bridge

Cygnus001

No really...Gimme a flippin bridge view!

Dunno how often I lost me ship boosting in a small and mostly invisible rock due to ship size

Not to mention the stuff I lost this way...very annoying

Also, me selected fighters in F9 view should react to me commands, e.g. rightclick to attack, mine, salvage...

No really...Gimme a flippin bridge view!

You can hold down alt and drag your mouse around to move the camera and crosshairs, and then zoom in as much as you like on your ship to get a "bridge view"

Dunno how often I lost me ship boosting in a small and mostly invisible rock due to ship size

Not to mention the stuff I lost this way...very annoying

[/Quote]

Yes, collision damage in Avorion is brutal. Mix that with the cosmic fog in some sectors, and you have a recipe for disaster. I have lost a couple ships this way.

However, collision damage makes the game more realistic (spaceships aren't made of rubber). I suggest you play in a galaxy that has the lowest collision damage setting, or you can turn it off altogether.

Also, me selected fighters in F9 view should react to me commands, e.g. rightclick to attack, mine, salvage...

Wouldn't that be nice?!  ;)

The fleet Management system in Avorion is in desperate need of a complete overhaul. And you are correct, we should be able to issue orders to our ships while in RTS mode.

As a side note... From the title of this thread I thought you were talking about a jump bridge. PLEASE GIVE US JUMP BRIDGES!!!

what the hell is a jumpbridge?  ;D you suicidal?! or playing EVE? (gosh I hate that game, way too hard for noobs like me)

NO SHORTCUTS!  :o

I tried paning the camera around but that is not it...I still miss those tiny ´roids, but I read up a bit, guess using integrity field generators or rather not using them might do the trick to not blow up completely, gotta run some tests

no, me thinks a proper ship has to have a bridge (and view from there)...I always have a bridge on me ships, sometimes they are inside (sort of like "mother", Alien 1, Nostromo) but usually I place a proper one (e.g. in Empyrion, SE etc.)

maybe even turret view(s)..."there goes another one - hold your fire...there´s no lifeforms (sic!), must´ve short-circuited"...for hunting down pesky droids with "plans", that is

it´s very one or zero atm, either 0 damage or the ship is gone  8) (which is especially bad if your "robber baron" with a full 10k+ cargohold goes...tsehehe...but it looks cool...all those tiny crates floating about)

can´t remember that I had to repair anything lately after getting shields

and for the RTS control, let´s go nuts:

fighters should react immediately whereas bigger ships should take longer and longer to react since orders need to be issued etc.

Proper bridge-mounted cameras is already in Boxelware's roadmap, so it'll come at some point. I look forward to that day!

I like your idea of turret cams. Being able to control a turret directly as if in first-person shooter mode sounds fun as hell, especially for multiplayer settings. Funny you mentioned EVE, as this is the exact game I think of immediately when I think of FPS turrets you can control directly as the player.

and for the RTS control, let´s go nuts:

fighters should react immediately whereas bigger ships should take longer and longer to react since orders need to be issued etc.

No, I'm not sure about this last part. Unresponsiveness in games is the worst of a programmers and gamer's enemy, and your own vessels appearing not to listen to you because they're slow sounds like a bad idea. Also, imagine needing to make snap-judgment calls in a tight spot. You don't want your input actions to only take effect seconds later. When it comes to orders spreading throughout the ship, consider this: your ship only has one bridge, and only one (active) Captain. They give the orders. You are like a commander giving them orders, but as soon as the Bridge knows, the whole ship reacts. After all, the Bridge commands the engines, steering and directly tells the Gunners (who are already at-the-ready in their seats: that's their job after all) to fire, which should all feel like a pretty instantaneous process. It doesn't make sense for these orders to first have to trickle down the chain of command until they get to where they need to be.

Who are all the other crewmen, then? Why, janitors, engineers and mechanics, exactly as the UI window shows. And a bunch of dudes running around telling them what to fix or clean. They're not concerned with where the engine is taking them, only with keeping that engine running and running smoothly.