A Ship Being Built by a Shipyard is an Immortal Object

Shrooblord

Hey,

I had a problem when building a Ship at a Shipyard. The particular build I requested from the Shipyard would take 40 minutes to complete, and at the time I wanted to go to bed, so I closed the game and would return to it later (now).

However, when I returned, the ship wasn't being built by the Shipyard anymore (no blue progress bar on the Shipyard). I decided to try and use the /destroy command to get rid of it and request it being built again, but that command didn't succeed on killing the object. It left it with 1 hull and no amount of damage would destroy the ship, nor blow any of its blocks off.

I tried using /destroy on the Shipyard to see if it was keeping the ship alive somehow, but that didn't help. I'm now stuck with an immortal, immobile object that I can't get rid of.

Work-Around:

Change entitydbg.lua's onOwnButtonPressed() function to this:

function onOwnButtonPressed(arg)

if onClient() then
        invokeServerFunction("onOwnButtonPressed", Player().index)
        return
    end

Entity().selectedObject.factionIndex = arg
end

That way, you can take ownership of objects that are your selected object, rather than only objects that you are currently piloting (how would that even work, by the way... whatever).

You now have ownership of the broken object.

Fly to it in your Mining Drone. Pilot it.

Summon the Entity Debugger once more. Now hit Toggle Invincibility. The Immortal Object is no longer invincible.

/suicide, /destroy or ramming your ship into anything at all will now be able to destroy it.

Hey,

I had a problem when building a Ship at a Shipyard. The particular build I requested from the Shipyard would take 40 minutes to complete, and at the time I wanted to go to bed, so I closed the game and would return to it later (now).

However, when I returned, the ship wasn't being built by the Shipyard anymore (no blue progress bar on the Shipyard). I decided to try and use the /destroy command to get rid of it and request it being built again, but that command didn't succeed on killing the object. It left it with 1 hull and no amount of damage would destroy the ship, nor blow any of its blocks off.

I tried using /destroy on the Shipyard to see if it was keeping the ship alive somehow, but that didn't help. I'm now stuck with an immortal, immobile object that I can't get rid of.

Work-Around:

Change entitydbg.lua's onOwnButtonPressed() function to this:

function onOwnButtonPressed(arg)

if onClient() then
        invokeServerFunction("onOwnButtonPressed", Player().index)
        return
    end

Entity().selectedObject.factionIndex = arg
end

That way, you can take ownership of objects that are your selected object, rather than only objects that you are currently piloting (how would that even work, by the way... whatever).

You now have ownership of the broken object.

Fly to it in your Mining Drone. Pilot it.

Summon the Entity Debugger once more. Now hit Toggle Invincibility. The Immortal Object is no longer invincible.

/suicide, /destroy or ramming your ship into anything at all will now be able to destroy it.

Nvm this works perfect, just have to click on the bugged ship then toggle invincibility, it seems the script is making the ship invincible for some reason.

Yes, but the fact that the Shipyard "forgets" what ship it was building on is the problem, because that way it

• never completes the build; and
  • never toggles off the invincibility of the ship it was building.

Furthermore, I've found that the work-around I mentioned is sub-optimal. The ship you commandeer this way will not have all the functionality it should have (i.e. its Interaction menu wasn't stocked with all the options it should have had, if I recall correctly). My memory is a bit hazy on this part though. It's been a couple of days since I triggered this behaviour.