Driving into own Torps

Shadowflare

Combat Update 1 Beta Branch

Steps to reproduce.

1: Mount a Torp launcher like this. fce5b7df897e9f58502d78874a3a0845.png

2: Accelerate towards your target at roughly the same speed as the acceleration of the loaded torpedo. When within range, fire.

3: Enjoy self inflicted fireworks.

Of note: if you use a stinger torpedo in this process that can 1 shot you, it will occasionally generate a crash.

Fix: Torps should inherit the velocity of it's ship?

On the subject of torps, I find it annoying that if my target has like..3k shield and I hit them with a nuclear warhead (34k damage) it only damages the shield and doesn't bleed through as hull damage (as it overdamaged the shield by 31k). Similarly, if a targets shield recharges slightly after launch, unless it's a shield penetrator, the newly recovered tissue paper of a shield will eat the torp with no damage to hull.

EDIT: Can a mod move this to the beta branch bug report section?

It occasionally generates crashes when this occurs. More frequent when done with stingers that can one shot you. That being said, driving into your own, forward fired torps makes -zero- sense as they should inherit the velocity of the firing ship. So, yes I am 100% serious.

Mathematically, at T-0 of firing, if my torp has 613 acceleration, and I am moving 614, the torp should also be moving 614 (in order for me to reach these velocities on my test ship however, a booster is used and I am actually -losing- velocity as I am not holding the booster down, merely getting to slightly above 613 and then firing. (still decelerating) if the torpedo inherited velocity, if I am moving 613, and it is accelerating 613 (assuming in seconds based on the tooltip) it should be 600+ meters ahead of me after one second, so unless in that one second I accelerated an additional 613 or more, I should never hit it.

Finally, with regard to seriousness, with the way that launcher is oriented, it fires up and away from the top of my ship. If I am only moving through space on one axis, it should move parallel to me on a plane slightly above my ship, and thus, again should never hit it. (as the torps follow the path of the arrow kind of like a weird javelin style launch)

If an astronaut on the ISS (moving 17,150 mph) lets go of a wrench in midair, it does not immediately tear through the nearest wall as the station moves away from it, it inherits the velocity and vector of the vehicle, just as the person who was holding the wrench inherited that velocity. (in this case the ISS) The only way I could see it hitting my own vehicle is if someone manually and very slowly pushed the torp out of the tube and it hit that like..... .2 of block behind it, which should never happen if I am decelerating. At the very minimum, the torps need a minimum distance traveled to arm, etc. But...the torp has thrusters that accelerate it out of that tube at 613 meters per second...so..

Just to entertain the possibility that self hits were the cause of the vertical launch, I made a new ship with nothing behind the launcher that the torp could get caught on: 9bd0e5d35307fcff066a786a830586be.png

Launching at around 700 m/s, the torps actually impact the rear of my ship, squarely on the engine.

a8e12bda6cf9533ed1ae02b8d2891116.png

I misunderstood the problem. So you're saying that torpedoes are not launched with an initial velocity equal to the ship's, but rather are launched with a 0 m/s reference frame (the sector) velocity and then accelerate towards own ship from behind since they start from behind. I understand. Yeah, that is an issue...