A breathing galaxy: faction wars and trade networks

Charless

Suggestion

A Breathing Universe: Making the Galaxy of Avorion Alive

Avorion has the potential to be an amazing game. Every update seems to add another dimension to the game. The combat update most recently showed us how amazing the game can be. So looking forward to the future, here are some Ideas on how to make the universe seem more alive.

Factions: The faction system in the game is already pretty decent. The names are cool, the territory map is cool. The different ship designs is cool. One thing is missing however: Factions seem like massive monolithic never changing groups. Occasionally a massive fleet battle will take place. Two battle groups will clash for control over the sector. There is just one problem: No Matter who wins, the faction territory never changes. And the invasions are just that invasions. They are not part of a larger war for dominance. Here's what I'm proposing: the war update. The war update would add in several key features

War: Factions would either due to hate or player actions go to war from time to time. During a war factions would launch offensives, counter offensives, small shipping raids and excetera. Merchant ships would be attacked. Territories would change hands and near jump gates defensive stations would be set up. Which ever side wins would engulf the other faction either partially or fully, and sectors decimated by war would be rebuilt. During these wars a faction your allied to would give you a privateer license or give you tasked. Privateer license would grant you license to attack enemy civilian targets without a general loss of reputation, you would also be allowed to keep cargo you take. If you are a powerful enough player, you can be tasked to assault a sector. This update would also include several other features:

quantifiable fleets: Currently factions have unlimited numbers of ships. Obviously in a war this would not due. So most factions would have a shipyard sector (one if small, multiple if larger faction). Factions would also have quantifiable credits, so no infinite funds, quantifiable resorces. When becoming allied with a faction you would slowly learn the capabilities of each faction. Ships would be grouped into fleets.  This would make factions seem more real. Over time factions would grow. Either from your aid or without it.

Sector in motion: Sectors devastated by war would now slowly regrow. New stations, mines and gates would be built. Further Selling a mine asteroid to a faction would see a mine slowly be built on it.

Another thing needing improvement is Trade and civilian ships. IRL trade ships don’t follow random routes. They follow trade routes. In game this would be the same. The update this would be included would be the Shipping update.

Shipping update: This update would see the improvement of trade and generally make the universe feel more alive. Sectors connected by warp gates would connect into larger trade routes. These would see convoys of ships like in the game already move slowly through sectors. Carrying specific cargo and selling. This would make trade seem much more alive and really aid in the galaxy being complete. This would also allow a player to wait for a enemy convoy and ambush it reliably.

(WIP)

1 answer to this suggestion

Hey there,

I do agree with you in almost every single point, except for shipyard sectors since there are enough yards around, factions would just need to use those.

But, again, this is not far enough for me. As I already stated in this post, I would like to have alliances more integrated into the faction system. The dynamic economy system suggested in that post, combined with your ideas would male a truly awesome addition to the game and make it feel much more alive. Also, if takeover of factions by alliances was integrated as suggested here, this would really male you feel as a PART of that alive galaxy, not just some random spectator, since the factions would strike back or other ones would attack you for that territory...