Awesomeness in the Editor, AI Traits and Sandbox Simulation

tz7yo3g

Suggestion

It's a meaningful wall 'o text actually, thanks for reading or skimming a thousand times. How did this even happen? Well, avorion's good.

Some categories for a  wish list and a few ideas and speculations.

Editor :

Engine main and separately thruster force in N/kn/Mn (force before the other calculations, from F = m * a , 1 Newton = 1 kg * 1 m/s ^ 2 )

so that you can have an idea of what the engines will be capable of while a lot of mass has been removed or added during a design.

Top speed and acceleration while main boost is applied.

Maximum main boost time in seconds.

Rotate block orientations without changing dimensions (for rotating gyro ,thruster and directional thrusters in place or whatever other block it would apply to in the future), to make it much easier to convert blocks into useful thrusters and gyros if they are already placed.

edit : resize block in place without moving it, same clipping rules as placing a floating blocks applies.

Hyperspace Potential : show what jump range and cooldown would be with only the generators and blocks that contribute processing power on the ship.

A window with fun but less useful or conditionally useful stats in the editor or ship screen:

% total or ratio of [blocktype] to total blocks

mass or volume and % mass or volume from [ [ all ship ] or blocktype(s) ] to [ blocktype(s) ] for stuff like :

mass or volume from engines

mass or volume from thrusters

mass or volume  from engines and thrusters

also separate other stuff:

rotation yaw from gyros

rotation pitch from gyros

rotation roll from gyros

same each three from thrusters

same each three from directional thrusters

ship mass to volume ratio

A bit stat happy. Yes. Because avorion is awesome.

More editor :

Split a block, or maybe even floating paste sections if simple enough, into a number of segments along one or more axes in place without moving it, great for easily reconfiguring internal components and shifting mass around

up,down,left and right directional thrust, the total mass of thrusters, directional thrusters separately, ability to convert all thrusters or directional ones to different materials in one click, or maybe only ones on a certain mirrored axis, or all on any axis at once

compare all stats of up to any 3 craft files on one screen side by side, with changed stats between file higlighted in 1(to):2 blue, 1:3purple, 2:3 dark brown.. or something that can keep existing red yellow green diff color scheme ..? including proposed u/d/l/r thrust and other new stats. Something like KDiff 3 is a good comparison but just a small thing since craft xml don't contain this kind of data.

.. Writing gets a little unsorted until AI but there's good stuff in there  if i do say so myself, I took some time to write this, thanks for reading! !..Please let me know what you think or if you have more to add to suggest.

Place a block, mirrored block, template onto nothing if it is going to be the new root block or set, after a new root has been selected. maybe a new way to position this if needed..but alsoit mgiht use a proposed different way of placing a 3d selection cursor in 3d space as the current build point. or instead or in addition to this, the selection could be anchored anywhere in 3d space..and then that block could be changed to something else. needed when you can't filter to see through blocks of the same type.

.. and blocks touching the block currently selected could be picked from a small list box similar to the block stats box, or included in it

..maybe this list box could be persistent and this way gyro rotations and material changes could be made to multiple blocks this way based on filterable,searchable options, maybe including it in the block view filter or changing it, or not..

rename craft on save(save as..), separate folders for each craft name set, autosaves kept for each new folder, or possibly in each new folder and whatever the latest autosave is, is kept in a root sort of folder also too, so two autosaves are being made at one time, one general and one specific

autodelete identical autosaves or the game moves them to a folder that gets autodeleted after a userdefine period setting

change root block to any other block in a craft, show how root block works in an editor tutorial, and the mirror/to axis buttons do..?

option to show the same grid as mirror , snap type grid but with adjustable opacity.

have a grid similar to the existing mirror one come up, but applied on the floating selection to see where it matches the mirror grid, when copy-pasting a group of blocks or block, and/or incremental markers added to itself maybe each 20%, to to 5 lines on each axis or a specified axis, so that aligning things in 3d is easier, meaning so that it's easier to line up edges on the first or second try, hard now sometimes due to lack of depth perception.

snap-scaling option for odd numbered integers so blocks more often have a definite middle, easier to work with for mirroring.

an/or? a snap-to block center function that puts what you want on the center of the block surface without changing the dimensions of the block you're placing, similar to the match block function. i don't have experience using 3d modeling software so, sorry if this doesn't make the best sense or will be replaced with a better stuff.

End Editor stuff.

Peaceful Negotiations : What a faction wants would only ever take each personality trait together in a complex similarly sometimes funny way to determine what a faction wants.  Some traits would have special behaviors when just attempting negotiations : aggressive(probably threatens you and shoots at you the more you attempt both negotiations and any activity near them while they are hostile)  + very paranoid would often cancel an agreed upon set of negotiations after it is picked or during when a player is doing them.

But most traits would just change what the faction wants when asked by you or other factions for negotiations.

For example greedy, opportunistic,active,sadistic : wants money and more if it thinks you have more based on your ship or allied faction techlevel makeup,and maybe anything it thinks you have plenty of, actively asks you for this if you refuse and actively tries to negotiate by sending you messages if it is at an advantage to do this (don't know to what extent recursion like this from opportunism a second time will be possible when determining terms for negotiation, but it's fun.) , and wants you to wait excessively, or bare an agreed upon attack on your ship just to humiliate you or potentially hurt crew just for terms of the negotiation, or want you to attack a friend or request annoying things from an allied faction,from sadism each respectively from the traits in this example.

AI and AI in the Sandbox/Economy/Diplomacy Simulation

The ai personality traits that get generated are super exciting and I love the sometimes funny combinations. Don't know the limit of what's already possible with what they do, but it leads to a lot of wishes. What would or could the traits cause them to do : Active  : more flavor only stuff by itself like increased ship traffic, using more ships per shipment or explore operation that usual, flying around more, sending greetings to players more. But when combined with other ones like greedy, this particular ai would more actively initiate trade deals with other factions or players , do preemptive stuff, though not yet aggressively unless that had that property too. Or for a different example, a very passive faction would take much longer to do almost anything except what's needed to survive,

Sometimes traits overlap with, but not sure whether these would work with each other in a different way when present together or not always : Naive, dumb : naivety could be from inexperience, but dumb actions could result from naivety that isn't due to inexperience.

empathic/sympathetic,generous : generous actions could be from empathy or being habitually(spontaneously) generous, or generous because internally happy.

It's sometimes dumb to seem and/or actually act smart if opportunistic and (selfishly from opportunism) manipulating other factions by what a faction itself does.  Also, passive aggressive factions could do unusual weirdawful passiveaggressive things, since sadistic needs a harmfulness element from a sort of aggression there's some overlap between sadistic, aggressive and passive + aggressive combined.

Since the Very modifier was added and since it looks like now faction can be generated with previously contradictory traits, there are more fun combinations than the old types I'm mentioning. Here are some that I think overlap in function by the definition of the trait word.

Generous,  dumb

Generous, smart    both these two generous can be smart and dumb for different reasons.

Generous, peaceful - implies some passivity but dunno what else to say, maybe the most economically effective before getting active or other traits.

smart, peaceful, brave - Unnamed?

smart, empathic, generous, peaceful - Jedi? Needs more robes.

aggressive, dumb - Maybe super dumb, uncommunicative, beast type, sub-klingon sort

aggressive, sadistic - "Evil" special requirement

aggressive,sadistic,passive,smart ,active - Super Evil! , and partly super contradictory!

aggressive, active - Scourge, conquester. maybe pirate requirement, or a marauder only faction that isn't as greedy as pirates.

aggressive, opportunistic, active - Maniacal Manipulator

forgiving, smart, brave, naive - Wonderful

mistrustful,paranoid,dumb,greedy - Malcontent

greedy,strict - Miser

mistrustful,dumb - Goofball

mistrustful,passive - Grumpy

peaceful,passive - Frolicker

peaceful,honorable,brave,active - Do-Gooder

forgiving,generous,brave,peaceful,honorable,active : Force of Super Good

Since this combination  (and its partial combinations to smaller degrees) seem(s) like the best combination for galaxy health and survivability by dealing effectively with the xsotan and pirates, maybe they would be made less likely to be created than usual, or if more likely than usual, then only as a user definable adjustable setting along side difficulty level.

very active, dumb or only very active : Galaxy Mutator?

Maybe it could be one of the most fun and since maybe most likely to change a universe on its own with less predictable results , Since i'm imagining an ai constantly doing everything and making decisions almost randomly each time if dumb or very dumb. It could  have some kind of optional special rule to limit how many spawn or what level of space it spawns, or how far away from the center to limit the spread of its civilization.

So this thinking made me want :

Diverse faction generation option : firstly picks a set of factions that have no traits in common between any of them, a server defined setting of how many like this to put in the initial set.

Then another Semidiverse setting that can optionally fill the rest of the galaxy with a set of other factions that can only have up to x number of traits in common with any other faction including the first more diverse set picked before or the other constituents if that option isnt used.

A few New traits or just game additions to the AI instead? Creative : accepts the craziest designs the generator can make and has a special rule for choosing the most different design from any other design in its faction.

Uncreative : buys and uses designs from players, though maybe this could be a server setting to allow specific factions, or any to use certain designs predefined, or to accept ones from players, and whether to use them with what frequency or prefer them over generated ones.

Ability for players to join an ai's faction if they are liked by them enough and they don't dislike other factions the player is friendly with and has been friendly with before. Strength and/or cap to changes of relations of other factions to the player while the player is joined could be limited by factors based on things like these (player age + current credits + total owned credits + current mineral value of all minerals + value of all minerals collected during game + time since any faction was left/joined + whether alliance allows joining this faction specifically or any ai faction at all). Maybe something simpler though. Or more complicated . Because it's fun, woot.  ;D

edit2 : I didn't know what the 'move x/y/z axis mirror to selection' did until after using the editor for a total of about 45 hours. It makes things much more powerful and easier, and makes some of the things I suggested less useful but I wanted to explain why I was thinking that.

2 answers to this suggestion

That Editor stuff should be put on various tabs, cause not enough place to put all the stats. I'd add: crew stats in the ship blueprint list, critical when building 100+ crew capships 8) !

The joining an AI faction is pretty nice, as not everyone wants to make galaxy-spanning interstellar empires :).

AI factions buying player ship designs would also be wonderful, it'll be a way to boost AI expansion when dynamic faction development'll be a thing, and to boost AI defense before it :D.

All those diplomacy things should be addressed in a later update alongside OOTS dynamic faction development, and planetary trade stuff, after the basic, low-level functionalities of the game are sorted out. Hopefully ::).

:D  Yes I agree, there isn't much space left for more stats on the main editor screen, especially if ui scaling applies.  Very yes, for crew stats in the bp list.  More ways to make it less needed to hop back out into a creative galaxy to reconfigure stuff, and then back to a game in progress because you haven't currently got the materials or credits.. As to why all stats aren't previewable there too, I only imagine maybe there's a technical reason, it might make lag/loading times for each previewed ship kinda long. But maybe there's a compromise.

I know what you mean about there being lower level stuff needed to be in before finer faction ai stuff, I'm just excited because you can look at the faction diversity already there and you can already guess that some very smart, creative people have lots in mind for how that will develop.  ;D