Relations dropping too fast near the core

Kamo

The relations system has a big scaling problem.

Since relations decrease is due to absolute damage and not relative damage, as one gets closer and closer to the core and as ships become bigger and bigger, it gets easier and easier to lose relation points to friendly fire while relation point gain somehow seems to diminish, because weapons do more and more damage.

Right now in my creative mode galaxy I have to kill dozens of faction war encounter to make up for a random civil ship which somehow got destroyed by my fighters as it was on the way of an enemy :(.

It's becoming more and more tempting to become friendly with the local pirates than civilians, even in times of faction war.

Edit: Modified the script to make friends with factions with the "Anything around here?" response. Replace the StoryHints.interactionPossible (in steamapps\common\Avorion\data\scripts\entity\dialogs) by these lines to make the faction admire you if below -15000. Warning, aggro does not break, jumping advised.

It made me work for hours and hours and rage quite a bit :P.

function StoryHints.interactionPossible(playerIndex, option)
    if Player(playerIndex).craftIndex == Entity().index then return false end

local ok, msg = CheckFactionInteraction(playerIndex, -15000)

if not ok then
        local responses =
        {
            "You're talking to me ? Poor adorable cuddle, let's be friends yet again."%_t,
            "I have nothing to say to you. Aw, you're hurt... How to make up for this... ?"%_t,
            "I don't know why I should *not* talk to you."%_t,
            "Wait, so you *aren't* an enemy ?"%_t,
            "Don't fire into meee ! Let's be friends, ok ?"%_t,
            "Leave me alone, I need some time to process the friendship."%_t,
            "I might know something, but I won't tell you. But we'll be friends instead."%_t,
            "There is nothing that I want to tell you, but let's stop being total narbs~."%_t,
        }

msg = randomEntry(random(), responses)
	-- So "Entity" est the interaction target. So this should work...
	local interactingFaction = Faction(Entity(Player().craftIndex).factionIndex).index
	-- print("Player Entity FactionIndex: ", interactingFaction)
	-- print("Faction Entity FactionIndex: ", Faction(Entity().factionIndex).index)
	-- print("Is OnClient (normally TRUE): ", onClient())
	invokeServerFunction("doTheDamnThingAlready", interactingFaction, Faction(Entity().factionIndex).index)
    end

return ok, msg
end

function StoryHints.doTheDamnThingAlready(interactingFactionIndex, entityFactionIndex)
local interactingFaction = Faction(interactingFactionIndex)
local entityFaction = Faction(entityFactionIndex)
-- Can SOMEONE tell me WHY I have to DO all that whirligig with those factions and indices !!!
    Galaxy():changeFactionRelations(interactingFaction, entityFaction, 200000)
end

• 2 months later...

Replying to my own post, but I discovered that, when you make a Military Outpost, since almost all the things are very pricey, relations with the locals go up really fast as the station buys things from the locals :).

But there should maybe be a cap per minute (like, 80k) on how much a relation can drop.

Hi Kamo,

Replying to my own post, but I discovered that, when you make a Military Outpost, since almost all the things are very pricey, relations with the locals go up really fast as the station buys things from the locals :).

But there should maybe be a cap per minute (like, 80k) on how much a relation can drop.

well, it's easier to find a sector with trade-routes in it and let a freighter with goodshauler work on your reputation (and btw. earn some money for you). But goodshauler would just make profitable deals (or at least deals without loss) :)

The one thing that is killing relations is a ship with a captain (or fighter with pilot), if those think they could hit an enemy, they'll shoot, if there is a ship/station between them and their target doesn't matter - once the hole in it is big enough, they could hit.

Well, the AI might need some improvement, too.

The relations system has a big scaling problem.

Since relations decrease is due to absolute damage and not relative damage, as one gets closer and closer to the core and as ships become bigger and bigger, it gets easier and easier to lose relation points to friendly fire ...

Agreed, it needs some scaling...