Am I missing something? Why are thrusters so bad?

Daemios

I think the reason for this is because their in some way more realistic then the realistic space games like space engineers, empyrion, etc where you can go from 100 to 0 in one go. Also remember your going from a high speed to 0 quite fast still. 1/10 a second and 10 seconds is a 100% complete stop is actually quite insane.

Even stopping a car in RL is slow :)

http://www.csgnetwork.com/stopdistinfo.html

• 2 weeks later...

*scratches head*

I am just gonna ask here as it is the closest search result i have been able to pull up.  Please, if there is better info. elsewhere send me a link.

I am looking for brake thrust, yaw, and pitch solutions.  I understand bigger a ship the more worse the three become.  I even have tried experimentation like thruster in front.

THE PROBLEM I am having on my ship is it seems the more thrusters I add to counter drift, only at this point serves to add more mass.  That is I gain benefits of stopping and rotational speed but its mass over shadows the benefits.

I have reduced my block size, self found, of thrusters by seeing the more bang for the buck of it.  But as above, that benefit is over shadowed by the mass it adds to ship.

SO MY QUESTION IS...is there some builder tips/tricks?  Like thrusters in front, or some equation of beginning block being zero point of all axis yada yada B5 Star Fury effect.

Thankyou very much in advance.

I realize it's not a popular opinion, but I kinda like weaker thrusters overall, it gives the ship a feeling of weight, which is pretty apt, for a capital ship.

Once you start getting really big ships, with turrets all over the hull, for a 360 degree coverage, it really starts feeling like you're flying a leviathan. Like you're actually the captain of a capital ship. But that's just my two cents ^^

SO MY QUESTION IS...is there some builder tips/tricks?  Like thrusters in front, or some equation of beginning block being zero point of all axis yada yada B5 Star Fury effect.

If you are looking for extreme performance in a small package and at a reduced cost, I recommend that you take a look at the Scytales Laboratories, Optimized Starter Ships and Ship Modules thread. Scytales has created several "modules" of Engine/Thruster clusters, a Generator cluster, and a Shield cluster that exploits some design loopholes. In addition to the files, he also explains how it works and how to create your own.

Instead of just place a block of 1x1x1 as thruster at example.

You should place 1x1x0.01 sheets for max. break thrust.

Cover these sheets with 0.01x1x1  and 1x0.01x1 sheets and give the result a look like a solid block.

One of my first ugly designs was a row of 4x4x (1-4) blocks with the nessesary funktion. And left of and right of them 10 times 4x4x0.1 thrusters. They looked like heat sinks.

If you don't want these ugly things, you can sneak them somewhere inside. You can overlay the sheets and create a big super thruster block at this kind.

But you still need to place small ones at the tip's of your design for bette roll ability.

Is it intentional that thrusters should take so long to slow a ship down? 1/10th of my ship is thusters and I have a braking thrust of under 7m/s. What gives? Am I missing something?

Did you put them on All 6 sides of your ship?, Facing in their respective breaking directions?

- Thrusters rely on surface area, rather than volume, meaning that significant part of internal volume of a block is effectively wasted. Making flat internal panels facing the direction of braking is the best way to improve braking velocity in that direction. I do not recommend making extremely flat units, though - they do not compensate added mass reducing all secondary maneuvering vectors.

- When you're maneuvering, i.e. if you're manually strafing or turning, thrusters will not brake your velocity. If you want your braking velocity to actually work, leave the thrusters alone. Violently holding the poor 'S' key will not going to make you decelerate any faster either - it will only limit your breaking to one axis. Breaking is passive, and will only be performed when no other input is present.

- Maneuvering requires your thrusters to be placed away from the center of mass. Center of mass is an average of masses of all blocks of your ship and a point which it pivots around when turning. Placing thrusters near that point will provide little to no turning potential. On the other hand, placing thrusters that are offset by all three axis will help with all three attitude factors without reducing breaking or strafing output.

Use these guidelines and you can easily make ships, that has equal forward and breaking thrust, no strings attached.

- When you're maneuvering, i.e. if you're manually strafing or turning, thrusters will not brake your velocity. If you want your braking velocity to actually work, leave the thrusters alone.

I actually didn't realize that. I had always been wondering why the ship had sucha  hard time stabalizing itself, while Iw as turning it. I'm a little embarrassed I didn't connect the dots.

Thanks for the tip ;)

- When you're maneuvering, i.e. if you're manually strafing or turning, thrusters will not brake your velocity. If you want your braking velocity to actually work, leave the thrusters alone.

I actually didn't realize that. I had always been wondering why the ship had sucha  hard time stabalizing itself, while Iw as turning it. I'm a little embarrassed I didn't connect the dots.

Thanks for the tip ;)

Yeah, its not well described in the tutorial, but its an easy observation, that any actual input will block any passive stabilization in order to prevent interference with the maneuver.

Larger thrusters at the front of the ship help stop more efficiently. This is newtonian physics, the way these space games are meant to be enjoyed. :)

except the actual physics is pretty bad in this game.

The inertia force does not work like it should. If you have a huge ship going in a direction but you turn around and accelerate, your ship does not slow down, it simply changes the direction of the inertia as opposed to battling the inertia first, and the generating inertia in a different direction

yeah, it uses seminewtonian physics sadly, so when propelling forward, it acts more like an atmospheric jet plane :/

While using other thrusters only, it works great and realistic, but forward engine does this shit constantly (I crashed often because of that, when accelerating towards station, I sometimes realize I am too fast, so I flyby station, turn around and aim back at it... when suddenly my ship propels full speed forward straight into station instead of floating backwars for a while)

The inertia force does not work like it should. If you have a huge ship going in a direction but you turn around and accelerate, your ship does not slow down, it simply changes the direction of the inertia as opposed to battling the inertia first, and the generating inertia in a different direction

So that's why the handling is so terrible in this game! That's why I keep overshooting the docking ports, despite turning my ship around to decelerate. Logic dictates that it should work, but it doesn't!  >:(

Violently holding the poor 'S' key will not going to make you decelerate any faster either - it will only limit your breaking to one axis. Breaking is passive, and will only be performed when no other input is present.

I figured out that much pretty quickly, despite the fact that this is also counter-intuitive.