Allow strafing in keyboard mode

Ygdrad

Suggestion

I know that for a lot of people, controlling both strafing and rotation on keyboard while aiming turrets with mouse is note very feasible, but for some it is. I don't know why strafing controls aren't at the very least available for keyboard control mode so we can retain full maneuverability. It should at least be an option. Better still, make both strafing and rotation keys available on both control modes, let people decide how to set the extra keys up.

9 answers to this suggestion

I think i can do that already, i need to check ingame but i'm pretty sure i can.

edit : yes i can

I can move in all directions with keyboard.

Except you can't. Looked at the keybinds again and there are no strafing keys in keyboard more and no turning keys in mouse mode. Not sure how you're managing to get access to both. If you really can, mind telling me how toy managed it? To be clear, I'm talking about having access to all strafing and turning keys at once.

Oh, you want to change the direction you are looking at, with keyboard too ?

You mean, alike in FPS game, "turn left" and "strafe left" ?

Then i don't know, i "rotate" with mouse, and "move" with keyboard, but i agree it will be nice to have full control so you can use turrets with mouse and full control at same time with keyboard.

Going to bump this:

I like this and would like to see this. When mining / salvaging / repairing in a sizeable ship and you lasers go out of range you want to just strafe yourself a bit closer without touching any other other controls, at least that's what I would like.

For my keyboard settings I got, the arrow keys for all turning and AWSD I would like to have for directional acceleration.

It would also actually be nice to see a target velocity rather than a percentage bar of your current speed with the way it is currently.

Maybe I'm missing something here? Strafing is moving to either the left or right with out turning. This is accomplished with the A (strafe left), B (strafe right) keys. It is for me anyways. The only time things get a little complicated with this, is when I'm strafing, and have to rotate. That's only because the rotate keys (Z, X) are under the movement keys. So finger positioning gets a bit awkward.

Maybe I'm missing something here? Strafing is moving to either the left or right with out turning. This is accomplished with the A (strafe left), B (strafe right) keys. It is for me anyways. The only time things get a little complicated with this, is when I'm strafing, and have to rotate. That's only because the rotate keys (Z, X) are under the movement keys. So finger positioning gets a bit awkward.

There are two controle options, check controls menu and there is a drop down at the top.

Mouse steering allows for strafing just fine. Keyboard steering doesn't. Hence the request to have to that added.