Shipyard change: building ships from commodities (trading goods)?

Sir Charles

Suggestion

Hey there!

There are ideas all over the forums on how to give commodities another use than building turrets and becoming rich.

I just had a little idea which i personally do really like:

How about shipyards would have the option to build player designed ships in addition to what they can do now?

I am not talking about the same mechanic as in build mode or for building the random ships at the moment, but the option to build your own ship design from commodities (like gauss rails, computer mainframes etc etc...). The balancing for this would require some thought. Mabye such ships could not be deleted like other ones but only at a shipyard or repair dock or they would cost a very large amount of credits in addition to the trading goods, or mabye the amount of material (Trinium, Xanion, Avorion etc.) needed to build them would just be reduced and not taken away entirely.

I personally think that the first one is a good variant as it will allow for proper fleet building of player designed ships as well as giving commodities a use and will also prevent abusing for ressource generation. With a system like that it would be possible to build up an entire economy that finally leads to the production of ships for the admiral. ;)

I hope this was inspiring.

1 answer to this suggestion

I would rather have player designes built as usual ships on shipyard.

But shipyards could have 1 or 2 bonuses that depend on server seed. And if shipyard had some amount of consumable goods (that it buys), it would apply these bonuses on a new ship.

• Consumeable goods for shipyards would make sense then
  • People would use shipyards more often in order to get these bonuses