Option to disable Inertia/Thrust dampeners?

Woulve

Suggestion

Hey devs and players,

The game is really awesome and I really can't stop playing so far, but it would be awesome if you could toggle the ship from braking in all directions automatically, but rather have to counter-thrust yourself. In my opinion that just gives it that "Space Flight feeling".

Greetings from Germany,

Woulve

8 answers to this suggestion

I like the inertial dampening, but I do wish that you could just turn off the auto-braking.  In actuality, without the auto-brake, you won't have to constantly hold down the 'W' key to keep moving forward.  In space, if you keep applying thrust, you'll keep accelerating until you either run of out fuel, time, or reach light speed, and you won't slow down unless you hit something or apply retro thrust.  It's funny that right now, once you turn off your afterburner, you quickly go back down to your rated top speed.

A second suggestion would require you to apply braking thrust manually, but you can add retro thrusters that face forward to help you brake.  They could be a separate block that only face backwards.  But on the flip side, main engines and retro thrusters use energy when you use them to accelerate, but once you're at speed, you maintain that speed unless you activate the opposite direction or hit something.  The energy usage will gradually increase the longer you hold down the button like afterburner, but to a lesser extent.  Afterburner would just use a lot more energy than regular thrust.

Yes PLEASE.  I imagine the current control scheme was implemented to try and reach a nice medium between intuitive "arcade" style movement and Newtonian physics, since Newtonian physics are inherently unintuitive.  However I don't find Newtonian physics confusing at all (maybe I've just read, watched, and played too much science fiction), and the current control scheme is much more confusing than using thrust and counter-thrust.  If we could turn on the option for fully Newtonian control I'd find it much much easier to avoid running into things.

+1

Make it a toggle.

Auto Brake on by default,

When turned off: hit "S" (For Stop) to apply brakes.

Most natural thing in the world...

Hit S+Space for E-stop to prevent collisions (also does %5 damage to ship, which gives those lazy mechanics something to fix)