Server Questions

Jak

Hey All,

So am thinking about firing up a server for myself and a few friends but cant find the answers to a few questions:

- What is the recommended specs for the server? Since I don't see anything posted I assume same as client? I dont have a server box atm but Ive got a killer laptop I rarely use. 16gb memory, i7 3ghz CPU, SSD. Wondering if I might fire up a server on the laptop for use to play.

- What kind of bandwidth utilization do you see per host connected? My home connection is 150/3 with like a 300gb data cap. Just wondering if I might be concerned with going over with 3 -5 people connected from the internet. I control most of the bandwidth usage but just need to know where it will leave me for other things.

- May main idea is for this to be a friends only server. I assume I can start and stop the server and retrain anything we've done in it right? Not going to be creating new worlds every time I start? I want to be able to fire it up when we play and shut it down when we're not since Ill be running it from my laptop.

Thoughts? Thanks you for any help you can provide.

Hey All,

So am thinking about firing up a server for myself and a few friends but cant find the answers to a few questions:

- What is the recommended specs for the server? Since I don't see anything posted I assume same as client? I dont have a server box atm but Ive got a killer laptop I rarely use. 16gb memory, i7 3ghz CPU, SSD. Wondering if I might fire up a server on the laptop for use to play.

- What kind of bandwidth utilization do you see per host connected? My home connection is 150/3 with like a 300gb data cap. Just wondering if I might be concerned with going over with 3 -5 people connected from the internet. I control most of the bandwidth usage but just need to know where it will leave me for other things.

- May main idea is for this to be a friends only server. I assume I can start and stop the server and retrain anything we've done in it right? Not going to be creating new worlds every time I start? I want to be able to fire it up when we play and shut it down when we're not since Ill be running it from my laptop.

Thoughts? Thanks you for any help you can provide.

Your laptop will be fine. I run a server on a 2 core 6gb ram server and it utilizez maybe 20% of that with 5 people online. Its a very small game in its current state. To answer the third question you can start/stop the server whenever you feel like. I posted a nice server guide under the "Mods" section if you want to check it out.

That's what I run mine on as well. Runs perfectly!

Mind if I ask who you're hosted with? My buddy is asking to compare with what he currently has, I think his is running on openvz or something.

I would be interested in seeing some hardware requirements for dedicated Servers as well. Such as "what do i need for how much players" or even, whats important, RAM or CPU.

It would make planning much easier. I mean, sure, VMs are rather flexible, but you still need to plan ahead if you dont want to move some of your VMs to a different machine later on - which is doable, but rather annoying.