New player, a few questions

entelin

1. How do I move the root block of my ship? I deleted the root thinking it might move to the nearest block, but it went somewhere else and I don't know where. Can I move it explicitly somehow? Does it matter? If it doesn't matter why does safe mode keep you from removing it? If it does matter, why does disabling safe mode let you remove it?

2. How do I know what blocks are effected by an integrity feild? For awhile it was showing effected blocks for just a split second after I placed the block but now it's not, and either way it was hard to see what exactly was effected. Is there a way to just see it?

3. I mined some and made a mil helping to kill pirates which got me a fairly functional combat ship. I'm now close enough to the core to be seeing blue asteroids but I can't mine it, and turrets cost a lot. I read about people making hundreds of millions and getting millions of ore. How do I "bootstrap" up from where I'm at to progress better?

Thanks

1. How do I move the root block of my ship? I deleted the root thinking it might move to the nearest block, but it went somewhere else and I don't know where. Can I move it explicitly somehow? Does it matter? If it doesn't matter why does safe mode keep you from removing it? If it does matter, why does disabling safe mode let you remove it?

I may be wrong about this, but as far as I am aware you can not move existing blocks or change their shape or orientation. Changing their color, material or block type is possible though.

As for the base block, I think it only serves the purpose of having a starting point. Once you add other blocks to it you can safely delete it or change its block type.

2. How do I know what blocks are effected by an integrity feild? For awhile it was showing effected blocks for just a split second after I placed the block but now it's not, and either way it was hard to see what exactly was effected. Is there a way to just see it?

If you open the block list, select any type of Integrity Field Generator and the area covered by your currently present generators will show up in blue.

3. I mined some and made a mil helping to kill pirates which got me a fairly functional combat ship. I'm now close enough to the core to be seeing blue asteroids but I can't mine it, and turrets cost a lot. I read about people making hundreds of millions and getting millions of ore. How do I "bootstrap" up from where I'm at to progress better?

In order to mine better materials you need to have at least one mining (or better yet R-Mining) turret of the same material level or one level below it.

This means that in order to mine the blue material - Trinium - you'll need at least one mining turret made of Naonite (the green stuff) or better. Finding one can either be hard or easy, depending on your luck. It may drop from fallen enemies or can show up in equipment docks, if you are close enough to the barrier for it to show up.

As for making millions, I'm probably not the best guy to ask (since I kinda struggled with that myself) but I found it worthwhile to build at least one or two large mining ships equipped with R-mining lasers. Set those to mine, jump, refine, jump and repeat - it'll save you a lot of time harvesting all those materials yourself. (And it would've saved me a whole lot if I had done so earlier! :D)

As for money... Apparently it used to be that you could more easily raid freighters in hostile territory, but since making too much ruckus will cause a sector to become dangerous (and thus civilian ships will avoid it) raiding stations may be another way to get some money fast, particularly if you happen to have a hostile faction with mining robot factories close to a smuggler hideout.

As for building stations yourself... Based on my own experience it's not worth it for the money. It'll take an eternity for your investment to pay off.

Having access to their functions may or may not be useful, depending on what you need.

I was warned that a new reply was posted as I was typing this, but I will post this anyway because I want to leave now and not delete this. See you around later!

1. I'm also interested in answers to your questions in number 1.

2. When the integrity field block is selected from the menu, all affected blocks are supposed to be highlighted. The integrity field affects blocks in a range that is related to the size and shape of the block. So, if the integrity field is 100x 1y 1z in size, it can affect more blocks along the x axis. If it is 4x 4y 4z in size, its field extends out in all directions equally (probably in the shape of a sphere). From my observations, blocks are considered "within the field" when the center of the block is within this imaginary field. Okay, I hope I helped to clarify this. Good luck!

3. If you're asking for methods to becoming wealthy, I have two suggestions! #1: visit big faction sectors; install a trading upgrade; and seek for stations that contain lots of one type of not-heavy + expensive items such as body armor and processors; then when you're sure their stock is worth your time, attack the station and defend against multiple squadrons of military spaceships; lastly, it is usually best to sell all your items to a smuggler since you'll have more cargo than any station can hold. I can get hundreds of millions of credits from this within an hour (depending on my strength).

#2: I once earned a ridiculous amount of money from one mission. I do not remember the details, but I must've made two or four hundred million credits after a time-sensitive mission to gather a certain scarce item. I was paid exceptionally well, haha.

I haven't played with stations, yet, but I bet you could make good money if you spend a day or two researching the topic and constructing the stations.

Seems others answered 2 & 3, I'll just answer 1 with what I have learned through testing and reading of other stuff, though mind you I've only been playing a couple months.

Apparently, if my understanding is correct, with the way this game keeps track of the ship structures/block layout is through an xml file that lists everything out in a tree format with one "root" block for the whole tree.  This block is required for the game to keep track of how your ship is laid out.

Now, you can destroy this block and, provided there is another block adjacent to it, it will merely shift the root block to this adjacent block (if you have more than one adjacent block, I'm not sure what system it uses to determine which block is lucky enough to become the new root, but it does do this, trust me).

If there are no other blocks, then destroying the root block results in you destroying/scrapping your ship.

Some 2+ year posts I had read suggested that back then, the root block was also a vulnerability to your ship.  If this block was destroyed in combat, your whole ship would be destroyed, regardless of remaining health.  Thus at the time, it was recommended to keep the root block buried deep in your ship and possibly make it armor.

That said, I did some testing a few weeks ago.  Either that information above about the root block being a vulnerability was false, or it has been changed since.  From my testing, this block cannot be destroyed until your ship's HPs reach zero.  It essentially has infinite durability/the durability of your entire ship (which ever way you want to look at it).  I even went so far as to make this block framework and then attached a good sized ship to it so it'd have a decent amount of hit points, then focus fired on it with only salvaging lasers so I could better control where I was hitting.  Never popped until the ship's HPs hit zero and it became wreckage.

Yes, this does mean that, with careful copy/paste/delete, you could design a ship that is essentially immune to penetration/block destruction from one side (or maybe more with proper planning and exploitation of other things).

Ultimately, though, why have it so you can't delete it without safe mode off?  Either because it's a hold over from when the block was a vulnerability, because it used to be that deleting it would result in the whole ship being destroyed (ie, maybe the game didn't used to move the root block), or because this is a special block and maybe the devs figured the players wouldn't want to accidentally move it in certain circumstances.  But basically, as far as I can tell, not for an extremely good reason.

#1  The ROOT block cannot be removed while in SAFE MODE.  In my experience, the ROOT block only serves to anchor the ship initially.  What I often do is, is establish my own ROOT block then immediately delete the default ROOT block.

One hazard with the ROOT block deletion ... be sure to immediately check to see if any of your centralization (X axis, Y axis and Z axis, respectively) is not messed up.  If it is - save your file and exit the entire game and then reboot it - this will ensure your not misaligned.

#2  Integrity Fields are a little wonky.  As mentioned above, while in BUILD Mode, blocks affected by Integrity Fields will be highlighted in distinct way.  It's finicky, so ... just play around with you, and you can see how to manage it.

#3.  Making game money ... once I obtain a high level trade item, then I begin to trade in earnest.  Once i start trading, and get past first first million or so, i can easily make hundreds of millions.  With trading - find your own groove.  Start slowly, then as you get into bigger ships with bigger cargo holds you will develop your own system.  The game itself is well developed to make trading a fun component of your game play.

#3a.  Starting up - your first million ...  To earn my first million or so, I travel around and pick up military missions.  As I am killing stuff, my ship is getting stronger, I gather  the resource materials as I encounter them and I pursue the early Artifact Missions in the game.  I suggest that you do not try to rush to your first million, or getting into an 8 - Slot ship in your first few hours of playing.

An 8 Slot in a few hours IS a realistic goal, but this would require some game experience in a variety of areas.

Overall, this game, Avorion, is nuanced.  If you take your time and learn the subtleties, you may find the gameplay is unique, and you can approach the game from a variety of perspectives.

In my own play, my game steps are typically - Miner, then Light Fighter guy/explorer, then Military Mission hopper, then Artifact Hunter, then earnest Trader.

Cheers

From my observations, blocks are considered "within the field" when the center of the block is within this imaginary field. Okay, I hope I helped to clarify this. Good luck!

That information is incorrect. The Integrity Field aura doesn't need to reach the center of a block, it only needs to reach the edge of a block.

tYPJAaa.png

You can see from this screen shot, the block on the left/upper side is a very long block and it's center is very far from the Integrity Field. But one side of it reaches into the Integrity Field Block's aura. The block on the right/lower side is much shorter and no part of it reaches into the Integrity Field Block's aura. Both Hull blocks are colored orange but the long Hull block doesn't look orange because of the Integrity Field aura covering it.

I have a very different way of setting up my Integrity Fields from any other ship I have seen because of testing I have done. XD

• 2 months later...

I know this post is old but here is how I earned my money.

where ever you start there is a large chunk of asteroid. fly to it, claim it(get really close .15km) then sell it to the local alliance. you will get anywhere from 60k to 90k.  there are also 1 mystery loot box in between asteroids (press f9 and scroll around to find them faster) get close to it and open it. it gives random weapon or chip and 20-35k creds.

at iron/titanium area explore as many sectors with portals and when you see pirates in allied sectors shoot them and the second they fire at you run away(starter)

then wait till faction fighters finished killing them. you will get paid between  23000-43k depend on how good your relation to that alliance.

keep finding big asteroids putting the chip called cwe(not sure correct name) in slot  it will help you to know where it is by highlighting it blue.

once you get enough iron and titanium ores make a good  trading ship(with lots of speed) that has 6-7 slots, give it trading chip (blue to orange prefered) then start marking all the sectors with factories  of every kind. most of these factories will have quest that say shortage of this ingredient. go to the trading post of the said  area and see if they have it. if it does buy the requested amount and finish the quest.

these quest will repeat every day for me so you can rinse and repeat it.

atm im in green ore sector and I made friends with pirate that had factories that gives 2 mill for 100 item and there was 3 of these with same questline and there was trader outpost with the said item. i made from 3 mill to 18 mill doing quest for 2-4 days and trading those items to the factory that sold for most money. be warned tho the more you sell less they give and price for the thing you buy go up each time so stop it once buying price go up to the point where there is no profit.

so basically for now I'm milking this area each day for my easy 5 mill then go on to other things.

once you get like 15 mill claim a big asteroid  near steel factory sector and make it to a coal mine for bout 6.9 mill. then you need to add nuff block for 200 workers, make storage blocks  enough for it to hold 3000-9000 coal, add some turrets, add generators,integrity fields,  make few extended dock,  and put armor block around generator,storage,etc. then give it engineers and whatever people to maintain the mine. make sure you turn it to sell only.  then you will start making money whenever it sell  to incoming traders (you can adjust selling price) btw coal in trade stations sell for 200cr but i had it default 270cr selling price. so this will auto sell the coal, you don't need to take it to trading stations or steel factory. now don't expect  your 7mill to be made back fast as you want it, this is a long term money maker. it sells 500-2000 coal at a time so you get 270k for 1000 coal in 5-15 min.