Building UI in 0.28 is Attractive

SneakyTacts

In my opinion, the UI from the build menu in this recent version 0.28 feels intuitive, looks clean, and is helpful. Update 0.28 is good! But, know that I'm an experienced player who is used to building in Avorion and in virtual 3D environments, and that I've used this version for less than an hour. I love everything that has changed. I like that pressing 'G' presents the block palette, neatly arranged; 'G' must only be pressed, not held; the palette does not obstruct much of the screen; scrolling one bit changes the palette's material; that the order of blocks is consistent; that buttons are grouped and particulars are hidden; and the rest of your changes.

I did run into an issue, though. When I pressed the 'Control' and 'Z' keys to undo the placement of a block, my game froze. When I clicked afterwards, Windows asked me if I wanted to close the program or wait for it to respond. The block was an iron blank edge hull. Ask me any questions about this and I'll try to answer.

I am concerned that Apple's special mice for the iMacs—the touch mice that are smooth curves—will slide the materials in the palette with great sensitivity, since their mice do not scroll in big steps. I hope you have already considered this possibility.

I have one suggestion related to build mode but not related to any changes in 0.28.

I suggest adding the ability to hide specific blocks, which is a tool to be used alongside with the current 'Reveal Certain Blocks' tool. One situation this is handy in is when there is armor obstructing the view inside a ship and I want to put a cargo container inside (behind the armor). In order to do so, I'd have to go through a list of specific block types to find which I will show, then guess the positions of nearby blocks so that I can insert the cargo container in empty space. This process would be simpler and even fun if I could have hidden the armor to see everything inside. But, this suggested feature is not necessary.

Have to agree with Tactics here. The rework is nice. Despite being familiar with the old building style it looks more tidy.

I do have one request to add for my own personal preference regarding the rework however.

Could you reinstate the scrolling feature in the block selection tab.

The drag and drop (G) window is all well and good, but I've become very fluent in scrolling to get to all of the blocks without having to open a window (get rather distracting and interrupts train of thought to have that window pop up in front of the build).

Reworking the scrolling feature to change material is (also personally) useless as there is very little reason why I would want to or need to quick select the actual material like that. If anything, I build with one material for the whole build and then convert the blocks I place into the preferred material. I'd like to think that I'm not the only one who prefers it this way.

Or, alternatively, increase the number of slots for the block selection tab at the bottom so that I might be able to fill it with all of the building blocks.

I can get all of the main armor block shapes, but then only 3 or so of the other blocks before I have to open the (G) menu to drag and drop another group of blocks that I couldn't fit there. Inertial dampeners, thrusters, and engine blocks... but then have to take my focus away from the build in order to hunt down and place the other important blocks in the hot-bar is a slightly annoying.

Basically I find it far easier, faster, and less distracting to be able to have the blocks down there at the hot-bar tab (a scroll and a click away) rather than having to open up the window to drag and drop a new row of blocks because I couldn't fit them all there.

That's really my  complaint with it.