Server Status Report. - I'm quitting my own server.

Kane Hart

So I been having a blast in Avorion but sadly I'm quitting my current LP Series as well as my own server. This is not a rage or a protest this is just because I'm not having fun on it and this game is early access and beta and it has nothing to do with  :'( :'( :'( it has to do with just not suitable for large public servers.

So here is my history :)

Day 1: Got the server up about almost 40 players I think was 37-38 players it peaked but we don't have actual numbers. Performance was amazing everything was smooth besides some random crashes and mostly server stalling out then 100% cpu overtime.

Day 2: the stalling was happening more and more the performance was starting to get worse we set the max to 30 because of the performance issues.

Day 3: We were able to finally get steam networking working and it stopped the stall crashes and everything was going pretty decent though more lag again so we set the max players to 20

Day 4: No real crashes though some issues with /save but /stop worked fine. The server was starting to lag insane amounts with 20 or so on though we have not changed the cap yet it seems that even 10 will soon be too many people in the next couple of days.

The hardware specs:

Intel Xeon E3 1245v2

32GB Ram

3x 120GB SSD's

We hope it's just some bad script or a bad optimization somewhere. Though we know this was never suppose to run big servers to start with and we understand that it's suppose to be more of a Co-Op Experience we still wanted to try hard to run a server for as many people as we could as that is the fun part of testing.

I don't know what will happen with the server in the future. I'm the kind of admin does not like to wipe peoples work or shutdown servers. But also the same time we have 200+ characters and 6500+ Systesm (13k) files that is almost 10gigs in space. But is it not a crime to keep providing a server and cutting down max players day by day by day.

Either way I wanted to share my server experience I really enjoy the game a lot.

My next Let's Play Series is going to start when coop friends gets hotfixed in (seeing them easy in the system / map)

Thanks all and good luck to server running!

Thank you Kane! I played earlier in your server today. It was difficult to get in, as it was full with 20 people for a long time xD .. however, yes, I did experience really bad lag in it. Really bad. Although, it's odd, because other than Excelisor's server, I play on a German one (I'm in the US), which usually has 10 people on and it barely lags. I did have to leave it though, because his server did crash, and all the saves were not saved -_- .. he also mentioned a 4gb file in like an hour or less, was how big the log file was or something - but again, it rarely ever lagged. Thank you again though for providing us with the server, and I'm sure things will be fixed in time, so that we can fly together again!