More realistic ship control/movement options - in a mod maybe

guiohm

Suggestion

Hi there,

I'm a bit confused by the way that when we stop thrusting the main engine, the thrusters automatically brake.

I would like to throw my ship in one direction, then it keeps going until I explicitly apply brakes which is more realistic.

Similarly I would prefer that the Left Control key act as a toggle so that I can activate or deactivate course correction.

Because in battle I find myself having to constantly press Control while maneuvering the ship and targeting. And overall, almost anytime I'm moving toward a direction, I like looking around.

I would also like being able to just reverse the Control key behavior so I only press on it when I want to apply course correction.

Or yet better: double press toggles course control on/off while single press momentarily activates or deactivates it depending on which state it currently is. We might need a visual feedback for this though.

I'm new to the game. Awesome work, I love it! I've not looked at the API and what mods can do yet. Would this be doable in a mod?

4 answers to this suggestion

Why not make an option for speed control, with the whell mouse for example for maintain the thrust at 5-10-30-60%.

Really good too for manoeuvring between asteroid or other vessel in combat, i must spam "Z" for keep my engine at a good speed.

(when you have 900ms topspeed with 8ms brake, not easy :o)

Thanks, really glad you like it!

Maybe the alternative control scheme will be your thing: Press F2 ingame to switch. The alternative scheme is meant for big ships, and should basically have everything you just said.

Well, the keyboard control scheme has the no-auto-brake behavior and I like that. But I find it annoying that the camera is locked to the ship, meaning that if I look on the left and want to go there, I need to turn the ship left with the keyboard AND turn the mouse right to keep aiming where I want to go. Moreover If found it difficult to dock somewhere because there is no aiming marker and I don't really know if the ship is actually oriented correctly.

After a few minutes I ended up using keyboard control, and switching to mouse control when I wanted to either precisely aim for a direction or for docking or mining or combat.

And after maybe an hour later, I gave up switching (too complicated) and kept moving in mouse control mode half the time with Ctrl+W+Space which is a bit tiring (I think I'll try switching Tab and Ctrl in the bindings).

So in conclusion, I still want to control the ship by mouse. It's working great this way. I would like to disable the autobrake like in keyboard control scheme, and last but not least, I would still very very much like to be able to reverse the Left Control key behavior or maybe just making it a toggle.

Anyway, Thanks for your quick reply Koonschi :)

Agreed. The option of being able to toggle the velocity dampening with a key would be great. Toggle-or-hold as an option would awesome for free-look too.

Edit:  I just figured out what would be nice. In regular control mode, holding control to free look, then tapping ALT should lock the view where you're at in free look and resume normal control from that view. Tapping ALT again would release the camera back to normal view.