Figuring out block stats

Ranakastrasz

While the game isn't fully functional for me at the moment, I've been using creative mode and building mode to help fillout the wiki. Some stats are pretty easy to figure out. Some, on the other hand, are sufficently complex that I cannot determine a source equation.

I learned a lot, but quite a bit still eludes me.

Currently, Cargo container capacity doesn't seem to follow any expected equation that I can think of. I expected it to just use an adjusted volume, with each side being some amount shorter, simulating walls. However, Tests show that it is not that simple.

1x1x1 gives .4375 (estimated from 64 blocks averaged) while a 10x10x10 holds 3000.8

The equation is clearly unusual, compared to my expectations.

Crew quarters appears to be a pretty simple volume proportional amount, giving something like 1.05 crew per cubic... Measurement. (Which needs to be named at some point) Also works fine even if you place 8 0.5^3 blocks around, noncontinous.

Several block types had incorrect stats, like the glow and light blocks (lightweight but as strong and cheap as hull, clearly superior) And stone not having increased durability.

I learned that advanced components fragile, like capacitors, generators, and so on, have 1/8th the hit-points, which is pointless since Integrity field generators make that almost completely irreverent.

Solar panels are clearly broken, given how easy it is to increase surface area without volume. The whole, stacking as many 0.05 planes as you want for minimal price, not to mentine that 1^3 cubes massed were far more powerful per cost than 10x10x1 planes, or even 10x10x0.5.

I found out that credit prices increase by 1.35 per material tier, hitpoints by 1.5, and so Avorium is 6.05x as expensive to process and ~11.4x as strong as Iron, not the 25x as the wiki claimed. (Presumably because of the reduced materials.

Cargo, Crew, Solar panels, and integrity field generators gain no benefit from higher tier materials, except for the increased durability.

Shields scale at 1.5 per material tier like hull does, but the power cost is a bit atypical and I haven't figured it out yet.

Generators and capaciters appear to gain 10-20% power per material tier, but the lack of precision (only 2 digits) makes it really hard to get any serious precision. They also seem to scale oddly with size, not having power proportional to volume.

10^3 Avor has 1.76 ... Which I didn't label, while 40^3 only has 11.28 of the same thing, a tiny increase. Probably. I haven't tested it significantly.

I haven't touched Thrusters, Engines, Hyperdrive mechanics, or computer cores yet. All of them are extremely connected to the rest of the ship, mass, distribution, location, etc, and is far beyond my mathimatical ability. Except maybe the computer core, but I need to mess with the module unlocking mechanics first before I add that on.

Hanger price is really atypical, with price modifiers of 4/45 or 4/27, instead of more normal values.

Over all, it has been entertaining to do research like this.

oh, and I had to scale a frame block up to like 128^3 to get accurate values to calcuate it's stats, since it is so insanely fragile, lightweight, and cheap. Like insanely so. Don't count on it taking a single hit, ever. It will probably evaporate if you look at it funny. Seriously, something like 1/1500th as much health as a normal hull block, and 1/800th the mass. I honestly expected something like 1/4th the mass and health, not that.

I suspected that, but never tested it because thruster stats are also too complex. Doesn't surprise me too much however.

Already suggested a fix, but considering game-breaking bugs still exist, it will probably wait a while.

A quickfix is just to make them use volume temporarily, even if it isn't really accurate, since a real fix requires a lot more work.

Do players even use Framework blocks? What are they even used for, aside from just making a ship physically bigger?

Framework blocks are dirt cheap in terms of both credits and materials. They don't appreciably add to weight, either. As you said, they are incredibly fragile and provide virtually no increase to HP. The upside is that they do not increase the number of required mechanics.

If they were actually worth using, I think one could work around how fragile they are. All that would require is building them near the core of your ship and protect them with integrity field generators and armor plates on the ship's surface.

I was hoping that adding enough Framework blocks would unlock more System slots to add more modules. Sadly, this is not the case. :( They don't contribute towards more turret slots, either. So, I can't imagine myself ever using them.

Do players even use Framework blocks? What are they even used for, aside from just making a ship physically bigger?

Framework blocks are dirt cheap in terms of both credits and materials. They don't appreciably add to weight, either. As you said, they are incredibly fragile and provide virtually no increase to HP. The upside is that they do not increase the number of required mechanics.

If they were actually worth using, I think one could work around how fragile they are. All that would require is building them near the core of your ship and protect them with integrity field generators and armor plates on the ship's surface.

I was hoping that adding enough Framework blocks would unlock more System slots to add more modules. Sadly, this is not the case. :( They don't contribute towards more turret slots, either. So, I can't imagine myself ever using them.

I use them to create arms that I mount thrusters on.  Early on it was a cheap way to place thrusters really far away for the ship's center.  Other than that they are used for visuals.

• 4 weeks later...

Slight necro, but this thread was pretty much the only one I came across searching for the cargo space scaling formula.

Ended up figuring it out on my own:

Cargo bay capacity is simply "every side is shorter by 0.5 units", multiplied by 3.5

1x1x1 gives 0.5*0.5*0.5*3.5 = 0.4375 cargo space

10x10x10 gives 9.5*9.5*9.5*3.5 = 3000.8125 cargo space

Thanks for necroing this and posting the cargo formula...I was wondering how that worked! Essentially the formula includes a wall thickness for cargo blocks of 0.25 that is not considered useable for cargo storage.

To distill it down to more practical usage I created a little table to show block size versus cargo utilization (percentage of volume that is actually adding cargo storage)

Cargo utilization table:

Block size:              Percent utilized:

1                            12.5% 

2                            42.2%

3                            57.9%

5                            72.9%

10                          85.7%

100                        98.5%

As you can see, the smaller the block size, the larger percentage of the space that "wasted". If you built a single 100x100x100 cargo bay it would use 98.5% of the space for cargo (very efficient). If however, you instead built 1,000,000  1x1x1 cargo bays (same total volume), it would only use 12.5% of the space for cargo!

Going forward I'll be targeting cargo bays with a block size >5 and avoiding any cargo blocks with a size <2 at all costs!