Should I get this game?

Yeedo

Hello everyone.

I've been looking at this game on Steam recently, and I am pretty close to buying it now, but there are a few things I would like to know before parting with my £13.59.

1) What is performance like?

Probably the main reason I'm interested in this game is because it fills the void left by Space Engineers, which I can't enjoy anymore since my computer is a potato. It meets the minimum requirements, and I could run SE on low-med settings at around 20-25fps (which is slightly below what I would want), although it can run simpler games like Minecraft pretty well (like 60fps with prettiness cranked up). KSP also runs fairly smoothly (apart from during re-entry).

2) Does it suffer from game-breaking bugs/crashes?

I was considering getting Empyrion, but I was put off by people complaining that there are major bugs which can cause you to lose your ships, and which apparently haven't been fixed for a long time. Does Avorion have anything like this? Also, is there a way to manually save and reload previous save files? If so, I don't really mind if I lose my ship if I can just soft-reset.

3) How does this 'dynamic scaling' work?

Specifically does it 'snap to grid'? (I'm a bit OCD and I'd hate to have the size off by a couple pixels)

4) Anything else?

Is there anything else you think I ought to know?

I'll probably get this game unless there are any major issues (and tbh I'd probably have heard about them already).

1. SE is screwin up my PC too. On planets i have like 20 FPS max. Here I have always at least 30FPS, most of the time 50-60FPS.

2. Never encountered any crash here, nor bugs that makes game unplayable. I play on single player only. Some guys who checked multi are reporting on forum poor net code optimization.

3. Yup ya can change grid size etc. Also there is axis mirroring so your ships doesnt have to look like crap. And an awesome feature which allows you to easily copy-paste parts of your ship.

4. I strongly suggest that you test it first with a free demo available here: https://www.avorion.net/demo/. It have only one type of resource available but you can test that building mode which is great imo. (A lot easier and faster comparing to SE which you mentioned).

2) Does it suffer from game-breaking bugs/crashes?

Aside from occasional crashes while building ships (lost a bit of progress, but autosave is a thing so it was okay), I haven't encountered anything of the such yet.

3) How does this 'dynamic scaling' work?

So imagine Space Engineers. You're building a ship out of blocks. You want to make a sloped side to your ship. You bust out your slope block, but instead of being limited to a 1x1 or 1x2 slope, you can stretch it out to make it as steep or shallow as you want. You can also increase its size/width so you don't have to place multiple blocks. Then, say you want to make some small details - you can take your standard armor block and shrink it down to 5% of its original size. You can also scale the grid snap down to get small details right, or disable it entirely and just eyeball it. On the flipside, you can also scale them up, allowing you to sketch large ships out of simple shapes, or cover large areas without using a lot of individual blocks.

The building system, and the amount of control it allows a player, is my favorite part of the game so far. Beyond that, it gives you more stuff to do with your creations, and the sandbox into which it drops you has significantly more going on in it (though the game is still incomplete).

4) Anything else?

Making your own AI-controlled ships is a lot easier than it is in Space Engineers. If you use a shipyard to build a new ship, it will automatically be assigned a captain, which means you can issue some simple commands to it. Though, the command system could use a bit of work, unless I'm missing something.

Admittedly, I've been so heavy into the ship-building part of the game that I've yet to experience most of the actual game.

try the demo ? and u will  see

"Making your own AI-controlled ships is a lot easier than it is in Space Engineers. If you use a shipyard to build a new ship, it will automatically be assigned a captain, which means you can issue some simple commands to it. Though, the command system could use a bit of work, unless I'm missing something"

not so easy dude you need a captain and to get a captain it's expensive... it's not that easy

This game is geared for more play time than design time. It has a lot to offer in terms of random events, missions, progression and exploration.

The building part of the game isnt the centre peice unless you want it to be (i.e. creative mode). If you're doing a playthrough, you'll find you build your initial ship, play a bit, tweak it, play a bit more and probably tweak it a few more times. But you'll get to a point where you're happy with your ship for quite a while, until you start pushing closer to the middle and you find you need to upscale your ship.

So, should you get this game?

If you have a tiny bit of spare cash, time, enjoy action spaceship games and building...also exploring, shooting, trading.

And you don't mind - the fact it's still in development

Then it's definitly worth giving a try.

I highly recommend Avorion for two reasons.  First the building is system is in my mind the next big jump forward for these kind of building games.  The dynamic scaling lets you build things that are bigger more quickly than in any other games while also allowing you to make small creations that are still highly detailed.  And number two there are actually things to do with your ship.  The game has a full, though admittedly repetitive, rogue-lite single player experience where you actually progress, feel like your progressing towards something, and have to fight bosses and such.