Aiming Reticle! Please!

Thundercraft

Suggestion

I just tried my hand at dog fighting. And while I definitely find it appealing, I also find it frustrating and a trial of patience. The reason for this comes down to one thing:

NO AIMING RETICLE?!

Consider the likes of the Wing Commander series, the X-series, Freelancer, and countless others. Take a look at practically any space sim or dog-fighting aircraft simulator ever and you will find one thing in common: Nearly all of them have a "lead in" aiming recticle that shows the pilot where to aim.

We can't just shoot directly at the target unless our gun(s) are beam weapons that can reach the target at the speed of light and/or our enemy is very close. We must lead our aim ahead of where the enemy is traveling in order for the projectiles to meet them where they are going to be in a few seconds or fraction of a second.

Honestly, this is not new tech. This is old technology. During WWII they had mechanical computers to help aim bombs. And targeting computer technology is scarily advanced today.

Without a targeting reticle, we have to eyeball our guns and guess where the enemy is going to be, resulting in lots and lots of misses. That's tedious and frustrating.

Let me get this straight...

Regardless of whether our ship is autonomous or not - regardless of whether we act as the captain and maintain direct control where are guns are aimed - we must still hire and pay for gunners... yet we can't even get an aiming reticle? (And not just one gunner, but two per turret?)

2 answers to this suggestion

All turrets have reticles showing where the turret is aiming, butbas far as i can tell these are mostly for telling when something in range. I think what we are talking about here is a reticle that doesnt come from your weapons, but one that shows a locked targets direction/velocity, to show where you need to aim your turret reticle in order to lead the target and have your projectiles actually hit.