Turret placement idea

Kage

Suggestion

It's a simple idea that I think should improve ship building.

So, I think instead of placing the turrets in the build menu, we should be able to place "turret slots."  This will indicate where a turret will go and store the block type it's been placed on.

Then you outfit the turrets from the ship menu in the same way modules are slotted.

Advantages:

* Being able to store turret location in a blueprint.

* Being able to change turrets more easily.

* Should make fleet building much quicker.

* Makes turrets match the module system better.

Disadvantages:

* While existing blueprints should be fine, existing ships might need extra effort to convert them.

1 answer to this suggestion

Sounds like a good idea - in theory. However, one of the strength's of the current system is that we can place our turrets just about anywhere - even on the slopes of wedges and other shapes.

Depending on how "turret slots" are implemented, I suspect these will be square or rectangular. And that would limit us to placing them on perfectly flat surfaces, wouldn't it?

Anyway, I do agree that it should be possible to save turrets and turret locations on a ship design. I think that is important. Right now there is a turret disappearing bug that will make turrets disappear and prevent us from placing new turrets if we apply a ship design without first removing all the turrets.