Faster enemy ships

Ygdrad

Suggestion

I love the game, but one of my biggest gripes with it which also threatens its longevity is that enemy ships are almost never a real threat. I never feel at risk, I know that at any time I can just boost away and that enemy ships will never get close to me if I don't want them to.

Some of the ships should be generated with high speeds or be given something to slow the player down. As things stand right now speed lets you control any fight and escape any potentially bad situations. We need enemy interceptors :P

4 answers to this suggestion

• Boxelware Team

This is actually intentional. I want players to be able to run. In basically every game you can run from enemies. Not being able to escape can be very frustrating. Not many people liked the hyperspace jammers that forced you to fight.

This is actually intentional. I want players to be able to run. In basically every game you can run from enemies. Not being able to escape can be very frustrating. Not many people liked the hyperspace jammers that forced you to fight.

You can always run using the hyperdrive though. As long as the jammers aren't fast you'll always have the option. The issue is that the lack of enemy speed makes the game lose any feeling of challenge once you start noticing it. All other factors are already stacked in the player's favor, letting some of the enemy ships catch up wouldn't really scare people away while the game feeling unchallenging definitely can. It's true that most 4x games will have the ability to run from everything, but this usually comes in the form of warping/jumping away, most games will have some enemies that can match the player's speed. High range weapons and kiting shouldn't turn all difficulties into a joke. Maybe tying enemy speed to difficulty could be an option?

I found that after the first few times that aliens spawned in it got -very- repetitive.  Why can't they sometimes just spawn in without a warning, like pirates do?  Different entries for the warning spawning would be nice too, instead of the whole "strange subspace signal" thing happening over and over again in 5 minute intervals.

I know it's already been said before, but the enemy ships are very slow.  Perhaps make smaller, faster, weaker variants that generate, different classes and such.  Tiny and fast, big and well-armored, medium-sized and all-rounders.