SP Crashes wasted all my resources

Kaypiel

First off,  I want to say that I really like this game and desperately want to put way too many hours into it.  However, at the moment I'm a little frustrated with the constant crashes.

I play Single Player currently, and have never been able to play more than one hour at a time without losing connection to the server.  Which is my own computer.  Every time I get back into the game my ship is gone and I'm left with only my drone.  I do not get my insurance payout, and I have to rebuild my ship. 

I've now played the game close to six hours but would never know it as I have to start from scratch again.  All the resources I've accumulated over that time has ALL been spent constantly rebuilding my ship only to crash and do it all again.  Literally 10s of thousands of resources, and hours of harvesting, gone, because I have to keep rebuilding.  Sometimes I only get 10 minutes of play time in before it crashes.  Now I don't even have enough resources to rebuild my ship. 

I know this is EA and bugs/crashes are to be expected and I'm fine with that.  I'm more typing this just to vent. 

The game is really fun though,  just a little frustrating right now.

Ohh you poor frustrated player.

If you would read the forum a bit more, before you report your frustration, you would see your old ships should all be there you just need to move to their last position and enter them.

The problem is just to find them.

I got many server crashes too, and i got all my ships back.

The difficult part is not your resources or rebuilding your ship, but actually getting the upgrades, cargo, valuable items and crew back.

Resources and money can be regained by editing the server file to creative mode, get the ship back, add a generator of some worth and sell it again when you switch back to normal game mode. For a small ship, it wouldn't take long to get back to where you were. However, not so much for a larger ship.

Although I didn't exactly have a battlecruiser with more than 2 million HP, it's now the second time I have to replenish about 1500 men crew (by visiting each station sector after sector and hire 30~50 at a time), redo the merchant quest (one of the most difficult to find), regain all incredibly rare upgrades, not to mention my most valuable exceptional guns, and 10 hours worth of collecting precious goods with a worth of $100 million, specifically dedicated for large scale turret production (which is again a time consuming process).

The game is quite promising and it is very fun to build up your ship and crew, but with the lack of safeguards against game-breaking server disconnects (for example the possibility to restore an earlier backup, which is for example saved every 10 minutes, would seriously limit the damage. Some may be lucky to find their ships back, so far I didn't have much luck...

Although the gameplay is promising, I'm done for the moment with playing/testing until some form of redundancy or stability is enhanced (especially for single player).

Actually, the solution could be rather simple.... since everything is regarded as a server run locally, it is a good idea to simply make a backup of the galaxies you're playing every once in a while so you don't lose nearly a much. If I lose only an hour of gameplay, that's at least much better than spending 20 hours to build up a ship only to lose against a server disconnect. Just copy the entire folder found in "galaxies" every now and then, or even better, auto-backup the file every 5 minutes with some form of time histories enables for the backup.  8)

*description to change galaxy to creative mode

to change to creative mode, go to C:\Users\<your computer name>\AppData\Roaming\Avorion\galaxies (make sure to enable to view hidden items in the map "Users") ", open the folder with the galaxy name, and open the configuration settings file "server.ini" with either notepad or wordpad, and change "InfiniteResources=false" to true. Restart game, load galaxy, and you've entered creative mode where you can rebuild your ship.