Build mode functionality and setting adds

Frest

Suggestion

Couple suggestions for ship/station(in future) build mode

1) Redo function - ability to delete last block

2) Confirm all made changes - to save current progress

3) while in design(build) mode - it will be nice to have menu with coordinates of current block (for precise positionning)- smtimes quite uncomfortable to place block due to "sticky" system (to operate precise positioning system will be needed to press (say) alt key (or so))

4) grid of initially built ship must be main (1.0 scale) for future redesignings, with existing possibility of scaling

5) tools for substract blocks (or blocks parts)

6) in build mode - summary panel with projected and existed crew capacity / occupation / requirements

7) "Out of game ship design mode" - to avoid "cheat for buty" - whithout resourses restrictions, but with calculator of resourses,which will be necessary for in-game purchase (build) , also it will be nice if it will be possible to "scale" model - to reduce price, share models for in-game trade(blueprints) and  for out-game (on forum) share.

...8)  one of the best "LEGO building modes" i, which i found, was in game "Planet explorer" http://pathea.net/planet-explorers (i tried one of the first alfa version a year ago, so hope it was not changed), it was not perfect, but couple ideas are great

Some ideas re controls / settings

1) please put reminder about availability of hot-keys redistribution into tutorial

2) free window size mode (if game engine allow it) - not only fixed sizes

3) while mouse out of game window - off ingame control (in my case - when I operate mail client... my ship turrets open fire...ups)

PS Thanks for nice game. Alfa is stable (on my Alienware M18x no any crashes/lags etc)

5 answers to this suggestion

• Boxelware Team
1) Redo function - ability to delete last block

Haven't had time for that one yet.

All changes are confirmed the moment you make them - is this what you mean?

3) while in design(build) mode - it will be nice to have menu with coordinates of current block (for precise positionning)- smtimes quite uncomfortable to place block due to "sticky" system (to operate precise positioning system will be needed to press (say) alt key (or so))

There is already a non-sticky system - Just deselect the currently selected sticky system. (don't just select the other - you can deselect the current)

4) grid of initially built ship must be main (1.0 scale) for future redesignings, with existing possibility of scaling

I don't quite understand, I'm afraid :/

Select a block and press the Delete button on the keyboard.

6) in build mode - summary panel with projected and existed crew capacity / occupation / requirements

On the left side you can see the stats of the ship, as well as the necessary crew.

7) "Out of game ship design mode" - to avoid "cheat for buty" - whithout resourses restrictions, but with calculator of resourses,which will be necessary for in-game purchase (build) , also it will be nice if it will be possible to "scale" model - to reduce price, share models for in-game trade(blueprints) and  for out-game (on forum) share.

Definitely. I had this one already planned for the current version, but it would have delayed it for quite some time. You can be sure it'll be implemented.

1) please put reminder about availability of hot-keys redistribution into tutorial

Good idea.

2) free window size mode (if game engine allow it) - not only fixed sizes

Very difficult. Resizing won't ever work, I could think of making them moveable, should it really be an issue. Did you think of any window in particular?

3) while mouse out of game window - off ingame control (in my case - when I operate mail client... my ship turrets open fire...ups)

I know. I hope I'll be able to fix this one soon.

PS Thanks for nice game.

Thanks for the nice feedback, it's always appreciated.

All changes are confirmed the moment you make them - is this what you mean?

Actually this function will be necesary in case of activated roll-back(undo) (for ex. you draw your ship and decide - time to stop -  at this point your project become saved (no more undo, prtected from crash and so on)

There is already a non-sticky system - Just deselect the currently selected sticky system. (don't just select the other - you can deselect the current)

MB i play too little, but twice stuck on this - existed ship(generated by shipyard), trying to add blocks - they stick to existed hull - ok.....trying to add some blocks over them - they became stick at half-grid-cell distance and impossible to fit to proper place....adjust grid size to fit ?bulky(IMHO) -  mb then easier to activate "precise mode" and fit exactly where i want....(hope idea clear)... mb in such case on press "precise mode button" grid size become decreased ten time for (only) this element

I don't quite understand, I'm afraid :/

Same as above .. as i understand - when we are building ship on shipyard - we are coosing "scale" - just "multiplier" of ship size compare to "etalon" size..... dimentions of blocks determined according to standard grid size? or grid also scaled (toghether with ship scale)? if no, and blocks of "scaled" new ship fit to standard grid cells - then omit this idea (but as i can see - this blocks are not fit to standard size (was in my case))

Select a block and press the Delete button on the keyboard.

...did not work in my case(as i remember i tried all possible keystrokes) ... will try again little bit later..

Thank You for answers .... and all the best to your project.  ;)

• Boxelware Team
Actually this function will be necesary in case of activated roll-back(undo) (for ex. you draw your ship and decide - time to stop -  at this point your project become saved (no more undo, prtected from crash and so on)

At the current state this is not possible. The changes are immediately propagated to the server and all other players.

MB i play too little, but twice stuck on this - existed ship(generated by shipyard), trying to add blocks - they stick to existed hull - ok.....trying to add some blocks over them - they became stick at half-grid-cell distance and impossible to fit to proper place....adjust grid size to fit ?bulky(IMHO) -  mb then easier to activate "precise mode" and fit exactly where i want....(hope idea clear)... mb in such case on press "precise mode button" grid size become decreased ten time for (only) this element

If you want to add blocks that are not aligned at a grid, you must *deselect* the current mode. There are 3 modes: Snap to Grid, Snap to Middle, No Snap.

...did not work in my case(as i remember i tried all possible keystrokes) ... will try again little bit later..

Interesting. What's your keyboard layout?

Solved. My problem - i am very rare using in-game help (F1) - only tutorial (usually).... in which "extended edit functions" was not described  :(

Now delete almost all of scrap, built .... nice. Thank You. ... mb you will add (for same-as-me guys) info about such functions in tutorial

About drawing... currntly it is impossible to "sunk" one block in to another (for ex engine into plates) - I tried all three systems, none of them does not allowed  me to put block inside existed....

only if I will put first small engines, then will choose plating block, reduce it size to minimum, position corner of plating block on designated spot and extend (change it size) to desired size (covering engine block) - in this case it will be drawn over existed block of engines (if i will try to move it - it will jump out from existed block...) .

What for it may be needed ?

Say.... engines must be big...and protected...and easy to draw... and many more  ;) - if we will draw as it is now - draw hull, add engine, draw over it 4 plates(spanding time to fit joints on all sides)  = we will have 5 units with independent structure durabilities? for battle it is good, then only difficult remaining - for builder. If so - then all above is nearly usless.

It is not critical and I understand that  "marker's colors and taste are different"  ;D.... so just some ideas....

Anyway. thanks again for nice project. Hope to see it's release.

• Boxelware Team
About drawing... currntly it is impossible to "sunk" one block in to another (for ex engine into plates) - I tried all three systems, none of them does not allowed  me to put block inside existed....

only if I will put first small engines, then will choose plating block, reduce it size to minimum, position corner of plating block on designated spot and extend (change it size) to desired size (covering engine block) - in this case it will be drawn over existed block of engines (if i will try to move it - it will jump out from existed block...) .

What for it may be needed ?

Say.... engines must be big...and protected...and easy to draw... and many more  ;) - if we will draw as it is now - draw hull, add engine, draw over it 4 plates(spanding time to fit joints on all sides)  = we will have 5 units with independent structure durabilities? for battle it is good, then only difficult remaining - for builder. If so - then all above is nearly usless.

Building blocks that overlap is hard. And that's on purpose. It's to prevent players from building extreme ships that consist of nothing but overlapping blocks. These ships would be too strong, as they would be hard to hit (a lot of overlap == smaller ship) but have more HP than a normal ship without overlap.

Building overlapping blocks is still too easy IMO and it will become even harder in the future. So that's not going to change.