Game is unplayable. [solved]

Yodarkore

Hi there. I already tried to alert devellopers about game being unplayable due to the constant "sector under attack" feature (altough i personnaly dont call it a feature anymore but a game breaking issue).

It takes forever to reload a game that has crashed to sector attack, even after a 2 day break of the game. So i'm off playing this game, waiting for it to be vastly more optimized. It is just unbearable to wait 10 min loading the game after a freeze to crash bug due to too many polygons fighting each other, without any player involvment. I really hope this is a 1st priority to fix this lagfest. I cant imagine playing this seriously, especially in multiplayer (wich i obviously didnt tried yet) if i crash every time i jump to a new sector because AIs are fighting each other for no real purpose beside destroying stations docks that will never reappears... Last try to reload game lead to 7min waiting (without being able to do anything else on my computer or crash again) and then sector attack still underway and crash again. That was the too much crash!

See you at  next patch (or until sectors attacks are removed, or until I'm getting rich and can buy an army supercalculator computer.. ) this game is very promising i really want it to be successful, but atm without a competion beast computer its barely playable. So i'm off for a few months  until things get optimized...

Great work so far, i'm really confident that the dev team will handle those game breaking issues, I really like supporting indie gaming, as long as i can play the games so far! :)

Edit: ofc i could send the logs if needed, but i'm pretty sure you know where the issue is (i already stated my config on some other topic that got merged to another one i5-6600, 8GB DDR4 RAM, GeForce GTX 950), lightning effects mostly i think.. You get all my psychological support to help you smashing those bugs and optimizing the whole game! :)

Needless to say i toned down all graphical settings to minimal values, but it doesnt change anything when "sector crash erm attack" happens.

• Boxelware Team

This is already solved, faction battles are much less frequent in the new beta patch. The crashes involved in these battles have been fixed as well. You can switch to the new branch by right-clicking on Avorion in your Steam list, Properties -> Betas -> Select branch "beta" from the drop-down menu. The patch isn't live yet since we're still testing it, but so far things are looking good.

Edit: The patch will decrease the number of factions that are at war with each other and will also decrease the frequency of battles spawning. However, if factions are already at war, they will remain at war. You'll have to fly farther away to meet new factions or start a new game.

Ok thanks I shall then start a new (beta) game then to refresh all those parameters!

Thank you very much for quick anwser, you're doing very good in customer listening i really like when devs are really commited with their game comunity! :)

Edit: I'm obviously willing to be part of that beta process, otherwise I wouldnt have bought "early access" game..

Ok after a few testing on newest beta version, performance is way better, there is still some (minor) freeze during battle involving 8+ ships. No more crash, but I didnt meet the "sector attack" again yet. Hardware issue is probably on CPU usage, since toning up or down graphical settings doesnt improve nor desecrease performance, altough i dont use bloom nor shadows, as i know i have an average (but very performant for its price) GCard.

I notice minor freeze too when there is a lot of debris in the sector. I suspect their light effect (shiny one that we can see from very far, but not the shiny effect of loot/res that i didnt pick up) to be the cause. Maybe toning down a bit the range at wich we can see this effect can help improving performance? Also maybe a setting for reducing lightning effect could be created in parameters, so either low end configs or top beast computers users could set the setting manually?

This beta batch is very promising in regard of performance! :)

Edit: I finally used my current save game as i didnt wanted to start again from scratch yet, so no more issue with factions already at war before i went to newest beta version, i went trough a wormhole to get on other edge, similar tier, of the galaxy. ^^

Edit2: I had only one ctd on this beta version, but i dont think its related to it. The crash happened in builder mode but i was unable to reproduce it (i was extending my ship). No part were lost, and i think my ship was in the state i left it at the crash.