Do trading posts never replenish their stock? That might mean dead economics

AstroOwl

Basically, what the title says.

I tried to sell something to trading post, relog, fly in and out of sector, fly out of sector, wait for >10 min, logout, login and come back again, but it don't replenish any goods for sale.

Does that mean that Trading posts are "static", and would never again supply me with something i once bought from them?

That might be a major problem, since, well, things like Coal, Gems, Diamonds, Raw Oil can only be bought at Trading posts currently (unless i'm missing something), and they are very important. If tradeposts are indeed static, all the production in galaxy would eventually stop completely: things won't work without Coal (cause Steel), for example.

Am i missing something? I really hope so, to be honest. Is there any way to make Trading Post replenish its stock?

stay in the system for long enough and npc merchants/cargo ships will come sell stuff to the trader

But trade posts sell and buy different things. You mean that NPC traders can "sell" to tradepost some things that tradepost wants to sell himself?

They should be using "trade routes" basically the same way you can use them, but they seem to be quite slow in my opinion and not very reliable.

If they are using "trade routes" same way as i do, i don't see how waiting for NPC traders to do anything would help, to be honest.

If Trading Post sells coal, it don't buy it. Once all Coal is sold, where would Trade Post get more, if traders obey same rules as player do? NPC traders won't sell Coal to it, because trade post won't buy it. That's the problem.

Your problem is a broad issue of persistence. It's a pretty high in development priorities, so you should expect updates to station activity while players are away from their sectors pretty soon.

The trading system need a bit of work any way. I'm currently doing a spreadsheet figuring out the best layout for goods and corresponding stations. Overall, there's way too many commodities, and many of them are too generic (Ore? Chemicals? Food?) and redundant.

Your problem is a broad issue of persistence. It's a pretty high in development priorities, so you should expect updates to station activity while players are away from their sectors pretty soon.

Not exactly the same problem: sector activity won't make any coal or diamonds to appear, but.. yeah, i should just be patient and wait for updates. Coal/Diamonds/Oil are probably coming with some sort of planet interaction.

The trading system need a bit of work any way. I'm currently doing a spreadsheet figuring out the best layout for goods and corresponding stations. Overall, there's way too many commodities, and many of them are too generic (Ore? Chemicals? Food?) and redundant.

Well, yeah, hard to make full supply chain currently. Especially since, say, food needs wheat and meat and corn and vegetables. No corn -> no food, wheat+vegetables? no, that's not a "food" yet. Vegetables can't be replaced with potatoes, etc, etc. Probably that should be somewhat simplified, so that you don't need to travel 1/4 radius of a galaxy just to get "food" but... stepping back is generally a bad idea.

I just need to be patient, once again  :)

Pretty sure there are factories producing every product... That said since sectors freeze I'm fairly sure they do not replenish. I saw a coal production factory...

This has nothing to do with sector freezing, i am talking about a bit different thing. If you stay in sector for it to be loaded: factories will produce new goods, but trade posts will not, even without that freezing.

If you saw a coal production factory.. please share how it was named, because right now every source i check, including player constructed factories, there is nothing producing coal in existence. Apart from tradeposts, which just have some finite stock of it sometimes.

UPD. Checked game files (productionsindex.lua): nothing i see there can produce coal. Maybe you saw a lucky trading post?

If you saw a coal production factory.. please share how it was named, because right now every source i check, including player constructed factories, there is nothing producing coal in existence. Apart from tradeposts, which just have some finite stock of it sometimes.

UPD. Checked game files (productionsindex.lua): nothing i see there can produce coal. Maybe you saw a lucky trading post?

Umm maybe I remember wrong, I'd trust the files more than my memories but I'm pretty sure I saw one. Maybe I mixed it with something else.. Carbon maybe?

Nope, there are stations that produce carbon but none produce coal, same for crude oil and gems.

The way the game works now this might indeed become problematic, especially on crowded multiplayer servers where a lot of players rely on trading as their main source of income since it's very overpowered at the moment.

Why waste so much time making your money another way when you can go from 10k to 500m in an hour?

Then again you only need so much money.. I got 350 mil trading and never bothered again, just kill rewards kept me afloat from there.

Money is not an issue: there is enough "ready" trade routes in universe to get very rich, even with finite primary resources. Trying to supply with resources a factory producing so-much-desired for turret crafting Warheads/HiCapLens/HighPressureTubes is an issue, however :)

Also, it becomes especially frustrating if you are trying to make your own production chains only to find them dead right from the start, since nobody have access to primary resources production.

I would be surprised if there are NPC traders working in the game, or ever will be. It's possible that the game will eventually "simulate" an economy to a limited extent but the calculations for a fully dynamic economy like X3 are very high and will force a substantial reduction in the number of sectors. Personally I think it would be sufficient for the game to tally production of resources in a region belonging to a particular faction and adjust production rates according to shortages, complete with some payments to the player as fictional traders purchase the player's wares.