Offering Commision for an experienced ship builder to design me a specific ship.

ddark16

As the title states I am willing to buy any steam game, of your choosing in exchange for the design of a functional ship based off a design i have chosen.

The design is as follows.  http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Eclipse-class_dreadnought

The eclipse class star destroyer, super star destroyer dreadnought class.

This should be a very very large vessel, very capable and functional. I only ask that you don't go past Xanion when it comes to building materials.  All relevant information is listed on the wiki.

All those interested should take your time working on this, and upon completion submit pictures and specifications of the design, I wil then after a week choose a design/author and reward them with a steam game of their choosing as a gift.

The ship its self seems simple enough in design but 17 kilometers would be 1,700 default (1x1x1) blocks long plus the internals. It would require a crew probably 60,000+ and a ship that big might overload the game engine. If you were willing to allow someone to scale it down you may get some bites.

The ship its self seems simple enough in design but 17 kilometers would be 1,700 default (1x1x1) blocks long plus the internals. It would require a crew probably 60,000+ and a ship that big might overload the game engine. If you were willing to allow someone to scale it down you may get some bites.

Understandable I would be fine with it being scaled down to a functional in game size that is still dreadnought size. 

The real question is:

Do you want to actually build it later on with materials you get while playing, or do you want something so big and crazy that creative mode is required?

Another question:

Should the build focus on being an effective ship in Avorion, or on perfect looks?

I can see multiple ways to build this design.

One approach would be to leave a good chunk of ship hollow, to reduce mass and costs.

To move a very very large ship AT ALL large internal engines are needed (the tiny ones seen in the wiki wouldn't suffice), and ofc a lot of thrusters.

Regarding materials:

The bulk of it should be trinium, granted: titan could work as a substitute, but it's simply worse.

While generators and similiar internals should be made out of the best available stuff (Xanion for example).).

How much internally do you want? And at what resolution, do you just want the general layout or extra greebles?

latest?cb=20081001131804

Just building the hull for this should be straightforward, I can xml edit any internal systems you want in there once it's done

Good approach for such a big ship would be to make external engines mainly visual, and stick real "half-the-ship-sized" engine to internal hull, surrounded with huge clusterfuck of thin thruster. Also best solution is to make the ship really really huge in creative mode, and just scale it down when applying plan in real game

IMO my aproach tould be quite a bit more hack~y

Build the general hull large scale, scale it up even more to add in some of the large greebles, rescale down, the mock up the internals, and use xml editing to merge the two!

Really having intersecting blocks and xml files open is a great thing for the game, slows a quick and dirty approach to ship building where you make the hull and internal seperate then simply merge everything no question asked.

I'm guessing at some point someone will code a automatic armour wrap script so that we do not even need to manually lay down the blocks for it.

Hmm there's an idea!

Blender-> avorion converter

1. Get outer points from blender

2. Generate a layer of blocks(triangle)

3. Generate second layer of blocks(cubes) under triangles to support the structure

4. ????

5. Profit

Someone better at code then me, GO!

To answer everyone's questions,

I want it to be a functional ship in game, I will be using it as my command ship so I want it as close to the design as possible while staying functional.

Design modifications are fine to fit the game engine and functionality, but the overall look should remain the same, as stated before I am fine with a reduction in size but this still should be a very large ship.

I play on survival so, it needs to be something I can build, trinium with a bit of xanion would work for me at my stage in the game.

I would like to aesthetic aspects to look as close as possible to the pictures. 

you have an awsome idea but but to put it blunt will be really resource intensive because of the amount of blocks the ship will have.

Even if I would try to make the scale to 0.05 I will need more than 10k+ blocks for the sloped sections

I have been building on this baby for 10 days now without details and I'm still not done with the topside slope since its very tedious work to get it on the right angle from just 1 image.

Keep in mind I started on the inside and i would just have place for over 1600 fighters with the hangars xD and over 3000 crew, I even think of giving it up since my game starts crashing randomly...

I would love to do this for you just for the sake of doing it. but its highly impractical since the huge slopesare hard to make scaled and if you need it hollow on the inside

b6b7d76fd1732efc4b728ce3dc3370c0.jpg

you have an awsome idea but but to put it blunt will be really resource intensive because of the amount of blocks the ship will have.

Even if I would try to make the scale to 0.05 I will need more than 10k+ blocks for the sloped sections

I have been building on this baby for 10 days now without details and I'm still not done with the topside slope since its very tedious work to get it on the right angle from just 1 image.

Keep in mind I started on the inside and i would just have place for over 1600 fighters with the hangars xD and over 3000 crew, I even think of giving it up since my game starts crashing randomly...

I would love to do this for you just for the sake of doing it. but its highly impractical since the huge slopesare hard to make scaled and if you need it hollow on the inside

b6b7d76fd1732efc4b728ce3dc3370c0.jpg

Perhaps all those interested can figure out a way to make this practical for the game, even if it turns out being a star destroyer variant.  I've seen huge dreadnought ships in this game the size of space stations and not crashed, so i'm thinking if we keep it around a huge size but also one the game can handle it could work out. 

Would it be possible to add all the important working to the hollow innards to make use of the space?  The point is it's meant to be massive, but not so much on a game crashing scale because were obviously working with some limitations.  Anyone interested can post in this thread, or send me a PM with ideas and some compromises that we can come up with.

The offer still stands to anyone that can effectivly come up with a design that works with this game but of course is based off the eclipse or harrower class. 

select all, copy, delete

create new ship

make a thin narrow spike off the core block

delete core block

paste ship that you copied onto spike

copy all

delete

create new ship

paste

use Q and scroll to adjust ship size down

there is no limit to how much you can shrink a design...

honestly once its done and its functional and true to the look, ill pay for it, and release it to the community because i feel everyone should get the chance to enjoy it.  I just want a flagship worth of my fleet and worthy of my love for star wars, which many other people have. I just feel by offering a monetary reward people would want to do it. I don't mind at all sharing it. we all love this game and spend many hours on it, i just want to see this brought  to life in game.

I like the spirit :)  Well, in a way, it will be a lot of work, good luck to the ones who will handle it, I personnaly try to recreate a Basestar from BSG,  few hours that I'm on it, it's only the basic shape, and already 4.2 bill volume xD Not even sure it will move once it's done, so I can't imagine a Eclipse xD

Edit: Almost finish my basestar,  9 bill volume 0.18 Gt mass.  only 3733 cubes atm and the game is already going insane xD

I would like to see the finished product ingame if someone makes it. Like it was mentioned above, ships with an intensive amount of blocks really kill the game quick, i'm working on a to scale minotaur-class battlecruiser from SC and i'm barely 25% with over 8000 blocks for all the detail, and the game experiences all sort of lag and strange workings.

I like the spirit :)  Well, in a way, it will be a lot of work, good luck to the ones who will handle it, I personnaly try to recreate a Basestar from BSG,  few hours that I'm on it, it's only the basic shape, and already 4.2 bill volume xD Not even sure it will move once it's done, so I can't imagine a Eclipse xD

Edit: Almost finish my basestar,  9 bill volume 0.18 Gt mass.  only 3733 cubes atm and the game is already going insane xD

I Basestar? Post it! Pleaaase :)