My turrets getting shot off constantly, am I not understanding something?

thedamnatus

I have a ship made of Titanium, with some integrity field generators here and there, but in battle some blocks (and especially turrets) are constantly getting shot off and I have to pick them up. Is it just my generators not covering the entirety of the ship (its kinda glitchy in the building mode, hard to check), or there's something else I'm missing?

NPC's sometimes have awfully good aim, and if your weapons are close to the center of mass they can shoot them off easily.

What I did untill I had shields was to place a block of armor covering the foot of the turrets, this seemed to help a lot.

By changing the scale of the block you can use a height that covers most of the turret while it is still able to aim above it.

So, I may be wrong in this, but my testing seemed to indicate that it was tied to the destruction of the mounting block. 

The mistake I had been using was a small strip of higher level material to mount my highest level weapons. 

Once I switched to using a large piece of either 'Armor' or 'Stone' (I like to reflect rails or electrical if I can), I have never had this issue again.  By large I mean I usually aim for about 4k health from that piece alone.

Lastly, I place this on the front of my ship, and place it outside any of the fields so it could take a hit and not damage nearby systems.

Before you have shields, I tended to also basically wall off above and to thier sides so the only way to see them was to be shooting directly inside my ship.  I am unsure how necessary that part is, as I was not as methodical before shields.

As long as I've placed turrets on blocks, that are durable in their own right, and placed IFG blocks nearby, I had never ever had my turrets taken off. I always assumed, that turrets themselves do not have collision frames not hitpoints, thus cannot be damaged, and it held true for enemy ships as well - though the chance to receive a functional turret from shoot-offs is low, I always disarmed enemies by shooting the block turrets were attached to.

Therefore, I consider a statement about turrets removed with underlying block being intact as inherently invalid.

Rules for NPCs doesn apply for player guys...

AFAIK there is random chance, that destroying block of NPC ship will yield you module or turret. Some modules might have different chances, but thats about it (otherwise you would get about 10 turrets out of medium xsotan ship every time)

I highly skeptical of that. Claim is not an evidence.

Did you just accuse me of lying? lol

No, but again, Turrets has no Hitpoints, nor collision mechanics, so I highly doubt they can be shot off directly until the clear evidence or developer's statement are presented.

I find my turrets popping off too, usually during the boss fight at the core. It's almost always the same two turrets, a legendary chaingun and an exotic cannon. It doesn't matter where I place them, which pops my theory that I was somehow shooting them off myself. The boss does have railguns though, which I'm guessing have a chance to penetrate shields. The way it usually happens is I all of a sudden see the yellow 'broken ship' icon pop up out of nowhere when I didn't bump into anything, and I go into the build menu to repair the ship real quick, and when I leave the build menu, the turrets that came off are listed on the right side of the screen along with the materials I used to repair the ship. I don't have any integrity field generators, but the blocks the turrets are placed on are not being blown off, or I'd be losing more than just those two turrets. I have never seen them floating next to the ship when they go, it's more like they're just randomly despawning off of my ship and back into my inventory.

So my current theory is that enemy weapons with a chance to penetrate shields are targeting the turrets, and every once in a while they succeed and the turrets get popped off somehow without damaging the block they're placed on.

Hmm... I have theory you can try to prove:

Maybe when boss with his railguns shoots of part of your ship (not the one with turrets), you lose your volume - and when that volume drops below certain level, you will lose one system upgrade slot - removing card temporarily which allowed you to mount those two extra turrets, so they dismounted?  That would explain why they are not floating in space...  But you would have to test that, as I have no prove for my theory

I haven't had any issue with turrets falling off my ship. Early on I would mount them on open hull and they would get blown off. My new ships have mounting blocks that extend all the way to the back of the ship and only stick out the front a little.

If you lose volume and system upgrades, you will not lose a turret. You will also not lose turrets if you remove a turret control system upgrade. They will simply cease to work.