Activity in zones you're not in.

Nozeron

Suggestion

So I have seen some posts of people asking what's going on in zones you aren't in, other people complaining about how zones work when you're not in them, and I think I saw something that the devs are working on what is happening with zones you aren't in. Mainly has to do with player founded stations not working unless you're in the zone it resides in.

Time stamps on zones.

So the game makes a save file when you enter a new zone right? In that file, everything that is going on gets saved. What stations there are, how many ships there are, the inventory of the stations, station/ship/asteroid locations, and other things. I don't know if it already does this, but why not also save a time of when you leave. When you return, the inventory of all stations AI and player changes based off the time stamp difference between when you left, and when you returned.

Hypothetically let's say a station makes (or acquires in the case of a trade station) a solar panel every 30 seconds, and 25 are sold off to AI ships every 30 minutes. In 30 minutes, the station would make 60 solar panels, while 25 would be sold off. After an hour there would be 70, 2 hours = 140, 3 hours = 210, and so on.

In the game though none of that is actually going on.

You return to the station after being away from it for 3 hours and 32 minutes. The game would see this difference, and automatically add the appropriate supply to the station of 274 solar panels. That way you don't return to a station after a long time, and one of their supplies still be empty

For player controlled stations, the income needs to be a separate system/program than the sector, that way it's still producing income for you, even though the sector isn't active. Production should work the same way though as AI stations, based off the time stamp difference.

Just a thought that I thought I would share. I actually know next to nothing about how the game works/runs/operates. Knowing me, I had an obvious thought that the devs are all "well no shit sherlock".

3 answers to this suggestion

Yeah that Thema is really a problem. Current there is a mod for single player that calculates the away time and gives you your money when you reenter a system.

Problem is that this system can not work on a server or you have load pikes with that and a enemy can not really build there systems up when you have damaged them.

Easyest way would be to calculate with ticks in 5 min internally or something all stuff that goes on in every sector and update even with that the battles. Problem is we don't talk over 100 or 200 system like in X.

Will see how the dev solve this problem with creativity.

And I think there are already 5 other thread about this.

The out of sector production mod works on the same principle, I'd love to see something like this implemented by the devs because that could potentially give more performance than it is doing now.

Since it will have to do some calculating while you enter a sector it can bring a bit of lag with it, but we have found that to be only minimal as long as there are not more than 10-15 players online at the same time.

With more than 15 players online the game itself is pretty laggy anyway so for us the pro's outweigh the cons since it wouldn't be viable to build a lot of stations and expect something out of it.

I think it will come later.

You refered to the X serie and OOS gestion was a big issue in this game as it was in end game what was making most of the lags even if the management was really simplified.

If they want to have OOS efficient on avorion it need to be multi threaded and think carefully so that it don't make more troubles in the futur than really help. So i'm a bit like you, waiting for it cause it will add a lot of interrest to the game, but at the same time i don't want it to be rushed and the dev realize at somepoint it should be redone from scratchs cause of conception issues.